1. Health
An open fracture, also called a compound fracture, is an injury that occurs when there is a break in the skin around a broken bone. In order for an injury to be classified as a compound fracture, the outside air (and dirt and bacteria) must be able to get to the fracture site without a barrier of skin or soft-tissue. Therefore, a bone does not need to be through the skin in order for the injury to be called a compound fracture.

Why the fuss about compound fractures? Because these injuries are open to the outside world, there is a very significant risk of developing an infection around the fracture. If an infection develops, there can be problems with bone healing. Therefore, compound fractures are generally treated with surgery to clean the site of injury and stabilize the fracture.

Comments
June 2, 2007 at 8:36 am
(1) cathy says:

this article on compound fractures contradicts itself…says does not need to be thru the skin. which is true? thank you. i had both tibia and fibia broke and had to be in traction, but bone not thru the skin. is that consicered a compound fracture? thank you.

June 2, 2007 at 8:38 am
(2) cathy says:

*tibia
*considered

sorry, half asleep

June 29, 2007 at 9:10 pm
(3) manwar666 says:

In order for an injury to be classified as a compound fracture, the outside air (and dirt and bacteria) must be able to get to the fracture site without a barrier of skin or soft-tissue…Therefore, a bone does not need to be through the skin in order for the injury to be called a compound fracture. ‘its a contradiction in terms’

June 29, 2007 at 9:49 pm
(4) manwar666 says:

compound fracture definition
n.
A fracture in which broken bone fragments lacerate soft tissue and protrude through an open wound in the skin.

October 1, 2007 at 3:11 am
(5) tracy says:

my son has a compound fracture and so far has had an ex fix on his leg for eleven weeks, they want him to go back in another three weeks for xray. Why is this taking so long to heal(its his Tibia thats broken) and also they say they will remove the ex fix while he is awake, isnt this going to be extremely painful for him? thankyou Tracy.

January 13, 2008 at 12:05 am
(6) margaret says:

my husband had a compound fracture 4years ago. tibia and fibia clear through the skin, he has been in pain ever since, at the ankle part of surgery he has literally a bolt protruding through the skin from the titanium rod placed through his leg, is this common? and is it fixable?? we are seriously considering a suit!

January 27, 2008 at 1:09 pm
(7) nicpint says:

margaret,
I had a very similar injury, in 2003, I have many screws protuding, as well as daily pain. I do not believe the surgens are at fault, quite franky i am just happy to have my foot still attached. but i am interested to see what you guys come up with. i have been trying to collect disabuility and keep getting turned down.

February 24, 2008 at 7:19 am
(8) Melvyn says:

Eduardo..[Arsenal Striker] Has Suffered A Leg Break And Now Has Something Called A Compound Fracture…How Will It Heall…How Longg..??

July 24, 2008 at 10:32 pm
(9) Natalie says:

My husband has a compound fracture which happened 6 days ago but are yet to repair it even though it is now clean and seems free from infection is this normal to take so long to repair?

October 31, 2008 at 9:19 pm
(10) newkife says:

I had a campound fracture(leg) 2 months ago and while i was in rehab (after a month & week) I had high tempreture (103 degree) for for first day and around 99 second day. It stopped by itself and didnot reoceer. I was rush to emergency and despite of all tests they couldnot find anything. I’m still curious why i had fever? My surgery wound is healing fine.

love to hear from you guys

June 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm
(11) ikooky says:

newkife- i had a similar thing happen after a compound fracture of my arm. i was diagnosed with very minor osteomyelitis which healed with antibiotics. it could have been the same, except it healed up on its own.

July 2, 2009 at 5:05 am
(12) Jon Robinson says:

I suffered a multiple compound fracture in my right leg in January it is now July and the wound is still not healing around the area of my skin graft also the bone has not healed. Is this normal?

July 29, 2009 at 3:40 am
(13) Lesa says:

My husband had an open compound fracture of his tibia & fibula with a dislocated ankle.They took him immediately to surgery w/a orthopedic specialist. Months later he had a sever staff infection. It presented it’s self by a 4X4X2in dark&lime green abscess, excruciating pain, and red inflammation up to the knee.They hospitalized 5 days and removed all hardware.
Now going on 4yrs later hes still in pain, walks with a limp and forgoes favorite activities.He has seen a couple of Dr’s $300 for insoles, precription of tremadole, $500 insoles”These are better” Dr said.
So I’m left with searching the web for any information. I greatly appreciate any help, I want him to have his life back. Thank you.

August 8, 2009 at 1:07 pm
(14) woa says:

woa natalie bones take months to heal fully

if you mean, set the bone, the doctors have lots of reasons

August 25, 2009 at 3:23 am
(15) sam says:

this does not make sence
and is not true

September 1, 2009 at 2:52 pm
(16) gmpat says:

My husband suffered a compound fracture of his left ankle in July,2008..then in Sept it started to drain and was very painful..so the Dr.took him to surgery immedently…and cleaned all the infected flesh out and put a wound vac. on it.. after several week it was taken off and wet to dry bandages used..3weeks ago it looked like it had finally healed..and then it opened up and started to drain and looked like it had months earlier.. the pain has been severe…the Dr. says it is ok and to do the wet to dry bandageing again..it is looking better but is still painful… seems like it is taking so long…

September 28, 2009 at 2:57 am
(17) Nick says:

I had an open compound fracture of my tibia and fibula 6 years ago at the age of 15. I had an external device and no pins or screws were left in. I am now experiencing bad pain when i exercise and it hurts more and more every time. My doctor recently gave me an MRI and a bone scan and nothing bad came up. Please help!!!

October 4, 2009 at 3:30 pm
(18) Wendy says:

“In order for an injury to be classified as a compound fracture, the outside air (and dirt and bacteria) must be able to get to the fracture site without a barrier of skin or soft-tissue. Therefore, a bone does not need to be through the skin in order for the injury to be called a compound fracture” means you can have a hole at the site of the fracture – the bone doesn’t necessarily have to be sticking out; it just needs to be exposed to air and bacteria.

October 29, 2009 at 3:43 am
(19) tibfibopenfracturevictim says:

I was struck by a car recently while riding my bike and suffered a compound fracture to my tibia and fibula in one leg. I just wanted to correct a number of people. You are referring to the tibia (shin bone) and fibula (not FIBIA) the calf bone, both of which are located in the lower leg. While it is easy to confuse (I was an anatomy and physiology student at one point in my life so I know the pain of this memorization) it helps you credibility if you use anatomically correct terminology.

December 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm
(20) Gail Huss says:

A year ago my husband had a compound fracture of the Tibia ad Fibula. It healed great, however now his foot is at a 30 degree angle of what it used to be. Is this normal or common for such an injury?

January 9, 2010 at 2:11 am
(21) andrea says:

My husband was playing beach volleyball Labor Day weekend of 2009.Had a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula. It is Jan. of 2010, has spent 5 weeks in the hospital, a wound vac. (there & at home, with a visiting nurse). Being open in the lake water made it much worse which caused infection. We are still waiting for the wound to heal & the bones finally started to fuse together( they were able to put a plate in the fibula bone but not the tibia). His bones were so shattered from running into an anquor in the water he has lost a 1/2 inch of highth on his left leg. Please say a prayer! Believe it or not..he says he will play again….

January 14, 2010 at 10:08 pm
(22) rachel says:

I am recovering from a compound fracture right now. I broke my Tibia and Fibula in April 2009. I have internal hardware. A metal rod from my knee to ankle and 6 metal screws. The Fibula is healed but the Tibia is not healing at all. I’m still in daily constant pain when I walk. He thinks we will have to do another surgery in a few months if it does not heal… I’m worried. Will I be in this constant pain forever.

January 21, 2010 at 8:02 am
(23) robbo says:

i suffered abad compound fracture to my tib and fib. i had an external fixator fitted around the 5/11/09 healing really well but keep getting pin site infections which is a real pain, i have also suffered quite a bit of weight loss since my injury is this normal?

January 30, 2010 at 9:05 pm
(24) JOE D says:

rabbo,i was walkingn to the takeaway in oct 2009,caught my leg in a railing and broke tib and fib down near the ankle,I passed out with the pain, the boys watching thought i just had fallen over and walked me 10 yards down tte road untill the seen the blood running down me leg .got an x fix on till dec 18 and a cast on now ,hopefully for just another week ,then it will be the soft one that you can take off .sorry to get side tracked the reason i was getting to you was about the pin sites ,keep them cleaned each day with cleaned (boiled) water and covered with iodene strips threr in a big pack you have to cut into stpips for under the sponge . if you need any help my e mail is ballyjoe2000@yahoo.co.uk

February 1, 2010 at 6:00 pm
(25) lynda says:

I had compound fracture of my left tibia (is that the right bone in lower part of leg cos that’s the one that came out of my skin) and also snapped my fibula (that might be the left bone!) after falling of a ladder. Lost so much skin and bone had to have a muscle taken from my right inner thigh inserted to my ankle and then a skin graft over that. Smashed my bones so badly that B&Q have run out of metal plates and screws. This happened in October 2009 and now January 2010 I need a bone graft to plug the gap. How long is it going to take before I can walk again and the horrid piece of meat attached to my ankle to go down?

February 2, 2010 at 4:36 pm
(26) Thomas says:

It is NOT a CONTRADICTION of terms. I do admit it is written in a confusing manner, but as an EMT I would like to clarify from my own experience. It states that the BONE does not necessarily penetrate the skin BUT that it is exposed to the elements. This can occur when there is an opening in the flesh down to the fracture sight, but the bone itself did not cause the open wound. A gun shot is a good example; it leaves a hole exposing the bone and fractures the bone, BUT THE BONE DOES NOT PENETRATE OUT THROUGH THE SKIN!

February 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm
(27) Thomas says:

I don’t mean to rant but the more comments I read the more frustrated I become when people don’t READ what is actually written. I enjoyed several comments, but a majority speak of “contradiction of terms” and “tibia and fibia” and “traction”. First of all I have explained above how it is NOT a contradiction of terms; secondly, fibia is not even a bone, it is your tibia and fibula, ending ULA not IA; lastly, nowhere in the article does it say that the treatment of traction defines the fracture as compound in nature. Traction is to relieve pressure on the fracture to either prevent the ligaments from squeezing the fracture site out of alignment or to aid in “stretching” a bone to make it grow slightly longer as it heals. Nowhere in the article did it define this as a compound fracture. If your fracture is exposed to the elements, it is compound, if it’s not, it’s not.

February 3, 2010 at 6:40 pm
(28) Nick says:

I had an open compound fracture of my tibia and fibula 6 years ago at the age of 15. I had a temporary external device, no pins or screws were left in. I am now experiencing bad pain from my lower ankle, through my calf muscle, and up to the fracture site(mid shin) when i exercise. The pain increases with every work out or “run”. My doctor recently gave me an MRI and a bone scan and nothing bad came up. Please help!!!

February 14, 2010 at 2:25 am
(29) jamie sanders says:

In 2008 i was in a car wreck.I fractured and dislocated my hip,compound fracture right tibula/fibula,fractured right elbow,5 ribs,sturnum,my jaw and eye socket,but that doesnt count because it didnt hurt.I was in Hospital for 30 days.After all the surgeries and 10 months of recovering,my right leg broke again,coe to find out I had a staff infection,4 of the screws broke.Had another surgery,now I have 2 rods and 26 screws.My ankle hurts everyday and the pain is unberable most of the time.I got a cortizone shot a month ago and it seems to hurt worse.My cartlige in my ankle is being over taken by the bone.Now my DR. says its a matter of time before i need another surgery.It will be fused..Im hopeing the pain from the arthretis will be elimaneted,and the infection will go with it.Only took a little over 2 years for the ss to be excepted.

March 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm
(30) Deuce says:

My husband just broke his tib. and fib. with dislocation of right ankle bone on Friday March 5, 2010. He was quikly taken to a hospital with an ortho doctor on call he has a plate and 11 screws holding his ankle together. He is in a air cast to allow for swelling for 2 weeks. Then regualr cast for 4 weeks. Then a walking boot for 4 weeks. And at 3 months they have to remove some of the hardware because the bones won’t tolerate staying screwed together. It takes a long time to heal a bad break and is hard to manage pain wise is what our doctor said. Hope this helps.

March 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm
(31) Thomas says:

An interesting link, check it out:

It is about a recent discovery at the University of Utah of a way to ‘glue’ bones back together. No cast, rapid recovery, no plates and screws!

March 28, 2010 at 9:59 am
(32) jeri says:

A compound fracture is when the bone is completedly not connected but the skin is broken to the point where the bones is exposed. The bone can be sticking out of the leg or exposed (like a shark bite where the skin and muscle are gone and the broken bone is showing)

April 7, 2010 at 4:39 pm
(33) craig says:

i was run over by a catterpillar digger in 2002 and had a compound fracture of tib and fib i had a rod put in first and that bent then i had it removed then i went to see a ortho specialist and he put me a frame on called a sheffield ring which i had to turn screws with an allen key for 18 month,s to allow bone to heal then i was in and out of casts for another 12 month,s plus. after further complications and infections only in 2008 i have slowly started to recover and also had plastic surgery to cover up where my tibia came out so even though it,s been a long haul it,s been worth it to keep my leg

June 2, 2010 at 11:56 am
(34) Elbow Compound Fracture says:

I was recently involved in a car crash. Had a compound fracture on my right elbow, I’ve seen at least 6 orthopaedic surgeons and they have no idea how I managed it. I lost at least two inches of bone from my arm. According to one of my surgeons the bones in my elbow looked like “crushed sugar cubes”. I had an external fixator from just above my wrist to just below my shoulder for a number of weeks until some of my mushed bone fused together, as there was no bone for the plates to be joined to. After a few weeks more x-rays showed that I had 11 visible fractures to my elbow, there was probably more they just couldn’t see them. Now I have metal plates holding my elbow in place. I’ve many more ahead of me, including a bone graft from my hip to my elbow. Hopefully my bone graft will take as well as my skin graft. Apparently at 18 years of age, I’ve great healing. The pain and numerous injuries I’ll get over because I’m incredibly lucky to be alive at all….. Hope everyone who has posted recovers soon. =]

August 9, 2010 at 7:22 pm
(35) Kid compound fracture says:

I was 12 when I got a compound fracture when in a footy match I got studded and the tibia ripped out the skin and the hospital had to fly a top surgeon in to operate on me otherwise i would of lost my leg and they filmed the surgery!!!

September 17, 2010 at 8:34 pm
(36) bonnie says:

my husband broke his ankle bone he got 2 plates and 8 screws, so far he is doing well they put a cast on but he can’t put weight on it yet everything seem to be healing well. i know he has a long road ahead of him. but i would like to know how long.

September 23, 2010 at 8:09 am
(37) Rhonda Graley says:

Hello, I broke my ankle in 3 places April 6th, 2010. This is called (trimalleor fracture). I had surgery April 7th, 2010. I had screws placed in left side of ankle and a rod placed in the fibula. I had to have the rod removed from fibula June 30th, it became dislodged during PT. Xrays on July 8th showed good alignment and healing. Sometime between July 8th and July 30th the fibula broke again, it is no longer in place. Fibula initially needed plated but due to gross swelling surgeon opted for insertion of a rod for healing. I go back to the doctor today for the final verdict. It has been 6 weeks since fibula broke again. I have been in an air cast. I haven’t been in a regular shoe since original injury. Surgeon stated at my last visit 5 weeks ago, that fibula will probally need plated, but surgeon also stated he hates the idea of going back into my ankle. I’m in constant pain. Please send me any info,suggestions, advice or personal experiences. Thanks rhondagraley@gmail.com. You can alsofind me on facebook the name is Rhonda Graley. Thanks and have a blessed day :)

October 7, 2010 at 5:50 pm
(38) jeff001 says:

5 year old compound fracture left arm 2″ above wrist. Internal only. Roughly 5 pm. Emergency room (highly competent) waited 6 hrs and called orthopedic in to surgically align at 11pm. Morphine during the wait. Food in stomach at 4 pm was reason for wait.
Surgeon did his thing and cast. 1 week later at follow up yesterday xrays showed complete unalignment (dramatic) again. No falling or injury with cast issues we believe. Scheduled surgery immediately this morning. To our surprise they now said pins would be needed possibly. The predicted 20 min surgery lasted almost an hour. Not only did they use pins on main bone only, not smaller bone, but made incision to cut off portion of bone to get realigned again. Left uln unaligned fully and stated no big deal, it’ll heal; the larger bone was issue in surgeons mind.
They made several mistakes during the pre and post process due to the patients age, 5 yrs. We have now lost confidence in this surgeon and medical center because we feel pins were warranted in the beginning and our son should not have gone through a 2nd procedure today.
We question the surgeons judgements and statements. Sone is home recooperating for the 2nd time in 1 week.
Question; what is criteria for judgement on pins or not. Why was it not necessary in the beginning and now critically needed. What could possibly have changed.
Advise??

November 19, 2010 at 4:35 am
(39) Dave says:

In 1988 at the age of sixteen I was hit by a car in a motorcycle accident, and ended up in the woods. I received a severe open tib/fib fracture to the left leg. The wound was left open for about a month for dirt,vegitation, and even insects to be removed. I spent from september 6, 1988 until december 12, 1988 in the hospital, and had over ten surgeries. I spent the next two years in cast, and eventually a leg boot. From 1990 until 2000 I had a few infections, and other boughts of pain. Since 2000 my leg has continually gotten worse. Besides crippling pain I have had cellulitis, skin infections, staff, and now osteomylitis(bone infection) I am in the process of planning the amputation below the knee to remove my leg. I had pins, screws, and an internal rod, but all have since been removed. My skin and bone grafts are falling apart, and the pain unbearable. I hope tib/fib surgery is better now, but be prepared for complications far down the road. Good luck to everyone with a tib/fib compound fracture, and always listen to what your body tells you, and not the doctor or surgeon. Especially 22 years later.

August 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm
(40) hello says:

i had a double compound fracture on my finger when it was slammed in a steel front door…… lemme tell you its really creepy staring at your bones

October 13, 2011 at 1:48 am
(41) Cool Beanie cans says:

I broke my Fibula and it nearly pierced the skin what is this called???

November 19, 2011 at 4:33 am
(42) stanley says:

i had a compound fracture 5 months ago both tibia and fibula are broken in the bike accident . i did a surgery in apollo hospital they kept me in external splint for 4 months the fibula bone is joined now but the tibia bone is not yet completely cured now the doctor have taken the fixator and put me a pop on the leg , my doubt is will this type of fracture will cure completely, and how long it may take for the tibia to become normal as everybody.. pls hlp me

thnks in advance

May 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm
(43) Steven says:

Could an injury cause a deep laceration and also break the bone allowing it to be exposed to outside contaminates without the bone breaking the skin or protruding through the skin and be a compound fracture???

May 18, 2012 at 12:21 pm
(44) zachary says:

i snapped my arm in half and the wound were the bone cam out did not heal for 5 months. that is normal but you want to look for and clear liquid coming out, if that happens see a doctor asap.

July 28, 2012 at 6:22 pm
(45) Ann f. says:

Thomas;

You are frustrated as am I by the spelling people use and the
(words?) they make up.
I also had a tib/ fib (.tibia/ FIBULA) compound break. I had a top notch surgeon, and did great. It still hurts, bothers me in cold and humid conditions. They say I healed without any probs. I walked into the office with a slight limp at 8 months. Doctor said it might be 2 yrs before I use a cane. I am 62 yrs. Old. I am their ” poster child”. I am sad to still hurt, but grateful I have my leg. Ann

August 3, 2012 at 4:23 am
(46) ladiane says:

I had a compound tib/fib fracture which occured Feb 16. The bone did not pierce the skin, however, I was told that it was so close to piercing the skin (I had a 2 mile walk and 45 minute drive from my fall to the hospital) that it formed a ‘blister’ which put me at great risk for bone infection. The bones, just above the ankle joint, were completely shattered. They wouldn’t do immediate reconstruction due to the risk of infection from the ‘blister’ (or so i was told; sometimes i wonder if my lack of insurance and the fact that i was halfway across the country from home had anything to do with that). In any case, they put an ex fix on, which i don’t recommend if it can be avoided, highly uncomfortable and cumbersome (particularly trying to get through airports and on planes to finally get home !). The orthopedist who treated me next removed the ex fix, repaired the bones with 2 plates, 15 screws and 2 bone grafts, approximately 3 weeks after the initial injury. I was progressing very well, about a month ahead of schedule, when I ended up with a staph infection at the surgery site. sooooooo … my situation better than some of the others, worse than some. it is now almost 6 months since the intiail accident; work has been out of the question this year, my job offers no health insurance and i could never afford it (healthy as a horse all my life) … the best advise i’ve gotten and will give is to make sure you have a good doctor, mine has been wonderful.

August 3, 2012 at 4:25 am
(47) ladiane0123 says:

I’m with others as well: as painful and inconvenient as it is, glad to have my foot still. I’ve been told that the risk of losing it was significant several times i

October 20, 2012 at 3:49 am
(48) Kris says:

I had a compound fracture 12 years ago in my right arm. The bone went through the muscle to come out of the skin. I now have a large mass of scar tissue from where the muscle healed all those years ago. It gets inflamed quite often and is very painful, but in order to remove it, the doctors say they would have to take out the screws and bars, which have by now fused to the bones. Not an ideal situation.

November 13, 2012 at 7:49 am
(49) Steve says:

So, ill start from the beginning. I am currently living this hell right now and it’s been about 6 months of it so far, two surgeries, and a lot of pain. I was riding a motorcycle, when a drunk farmer decided to go to the beer store. He hopped on his mini bull dozer and headed down the street towards me. I slowed down because the street was busy, maybe doing 20km\h, I get to the intersection, I slow for the tractor, because he was acting funny while driving. The drunk stops and I thought we had made eye contact, apparently his eyes were not working for him. I go through the intersection and right when I am about to get through the guy floors it and smashes right into the side of me, the blade/bucket on the front of the dozer, slices through my leg like butter down to the bone completely crushing my tibia and fibula. I feel off my bike, and thought I was ok, when I tried to pull my leg around was when I realized it was mush. I was taken to hospital where I waited two days to get surgery. Doctors removed a lot of useless crushed bone and cleaned the site. Metal plates and rods were used to attach my foot back into the correct location. It was a hopeless first surgery, the what was left of my tibula wasn’t enough to grow back together. I waited 1 month in pain, and another 3 months feeling pretty normal except for the broken leg. The X-rays from my appointment show the bone has not healed, so surgery #2. Bone graft to rebuild my tib, they cut a large chunk out of both my hip bones, shaped them and placed them. The surgery on my leg was as bad as the last time, but this time I has another surgery on my hip too and for the first couple days I could not move an inch. It didn’t help that the hospital gave

November 13, 2012 at 7:50 am
(50) Steve says:

me only t3. It’s not been 6 months since my accident, living through my second surgery, a nerve was damaged or pinched in the operation. That is the worst pain in the world. Nothing helps no pain killers, nerve medication which help slightly.. To think that I could have lost my leg, and would probably be walking again by now really makes me wonder if all this pain is really worth it.. My toes don’t work and I may not be able to do a lot of the things I used to enjoy. I’m dreading like with this nerve thing because it comes out of no where and can drop me on the floor. Anyways, I’m may e another 3 months away from trying out my foot for the first time in a while. I hope we can fix the nerve… Good luck to everyone with their own problems.. And sorry for the long post, just wanted to get that out

November 13, 2012 at 8:16 am
(51) Steve says:

Sorry about spelling, autocorrect changes words that are right because for some dumb reason it thinks it know better.

November 23, 2012 at 9:25 am
(52) Ankush says:

Dear Sir,

Good Morning.

My name is Ankush Vani, I have saw the you tube video Wrist , Suddenly I have this moment.

I have accident date : 26 Aug 2012 for I have walking the cross the road and behind once car .

at that time i have admitted in hospital and injury for radius and next day doctor operation for my wrist ( k wire ).

and ( K wire ) remove for 45 day .

Sirius Problem me for my left hand rounding moment not a proper .

Please give me advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Ankush Vani.

December 6, 2012 at 11:26 pm
(53) Jan says:

A little more than 7 months ago I had a compound fracture. I shattered the tibia and broke the fibula. The tibia did poke through the skin. I couldn’t have the surgery because of a very recent heart attack and I still have all my blockages (had no bypass). The doctor in emergency did his best to clean it in ER. If it was infected would it have shown up early. I ask because it is very sore and quite swollen now.. especially, in the area where the bone came through. I have had an aircast on for the last 1 1/2 months and am finally weining off of it, but can’t walk without the aide of a walker. Has anyone got any answers to my questions? Thanks for reading.

February 11, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(54) Maria says:

I fell from a ladder June 10 2012. I had a compound fracture of the ankle, a tiny fracture which was sutured. I have no hardware, I also had a fracture blister. Three days after surgery I had cellulitis on the inside of my ankle and leg, opposite of opening where the bone went through the skin. It was a long painful process but I returned to work in December. I always have discomfort, but pain is intermittent. I am happy to be able to walk even though I walk so much slower and am sometimes stressed while doing it. It has really changed my life. I have not driven since June, I was always such an Independant person and did everything I could myself, hence the the reason why I fell, from a ladder, trying to cut some tree limbs down.

March 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm
(55) InShock says:

Jesus Christ the broken leg Kevin Ware today suffered is freaking terrible. I’m holding my leg scared its going to just snap in half like his. My god it was so horrifying. I can’t get that image out of my head it’s so terrible. I hope this doesn’t ruin his career, and that he can make a full recovering

March 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm
(56) sean says:

I had a compound fracture of my wrist..no surgery needed..they just put it bk in place…hurt like a b**ch..but i was all good in 3 months…was bk playn basketball in 4 months…

April 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(57) Mark M. says:

I wish people would learn how to read/comprehend. The author stated the definition of a compound fracture. Two things must be present: 1) a fractured bone, 2) a break in the skin (usually a laceration). He stated that the bone does not have to go through the skin. What typically happens is that the fractured bone will tear its way through the skin, then upon rest the bone will come to rest back into the cavity from which it came. This is what the author was referring to. Patients will state that there is a lot of pain and bleeding will be present. But just because the bone has slipped back in the cavity it is still a compound fracture. Think of it this way, if more than one structural element has been damaged it can be classified as compound. In this case it is the skeletal system and the integumentary system.

Note: having more than one bone broken (without a laceration) is just a multiple fracture.

April 26, 2013 at 5:49 pm
(58) devesh rai says:

sir i had a compound fracture in my right leg and my both (fibula & tibia) ligaments were broken.A rod was inserted inside my bones with three screws .One in a upper section & other two in lower section.after 2 months doctor adviced to take off the screw in upper section. and the heeling was found to be occuring .Sir kindly please tell how many days it will take to get my bones fit,so that i can get back to my work.also tell the appropriate method for fast recovery

January 12, 2014 at 10:32 am
(59) Coco says:

Hi, In 1983 (aged 19) I was involved in RTA and had compound fractures on both legs.
Right leg Fib ripped through skin and jeans when I stood up.
When I tried to put left leg down on ground I fell over my left foot was sitting half way up my left leg Tib and fib shattered.
Must have been in shock after accident as I can’t remember any pain at time.
Later found out I fractured my skull/blood clot in brain which was surgically removed as well
Months of reconstructive surgery left leg external fixation loads of ops full flesh transfer from right leg plus loads of skin grafts and bone grafts.
Right leg small skin graft bone set fine.
Hospital for about 7 months and a further 11 months off work.
Many more slow months learning to adapt back to normal life.
31 years later very sore in cold and damp weather legs not the prettiest but there all mine with no added metal work ,they work and I’m not ready to give up yet

April 21, 2014 at 7:17 am
(60) SO MANY FIBIAS says:

I’d like to take a moment to point out that FIBIAs don’t exist……….
It’s FIBULA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!