1. Health
When should you seek the care of a chiropractor for back pain, and when should you see an orthopedic surgeon. While some types of back pain can be managed by a chiropractor, there are some situations when you should be seen by an orthopedic surgeon first. Learn about the warning signs for back problems that should not be treated by a chiropractor and find tips on how to find a chiropractor in your area.
Comments
September 22, 2008 at 6:50 pm
(1) Todd Lloyd, DC says:

Fortunately, Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) are fully trained in the medical art and science of differential diagnosis. In all 50 states, chiropractors are portal of entry doctors that can diagnose a condition, and make the proper referral when needed. Yes, DCs can clear their own patients for treatment; they don’t need a medical referral.

December 9, 2009 at 4:18 am
(2) boca raton chiropractor says:

I rather much prepared for an orthopedist because you can actually know what is the problem accordance to your health no only for your back pain but the other illness that you got.

December 9, 2009 at 5:51 am
(3) cleveland chiropractor says:

.., it depends in the situation… The chiropractic treatment has its specialty as well as in orthopedic..

December 11, 2009 at 11:31 pm
(4) chelmsford chiropractor says:

December 11, 2009 at 11:33 pm
(5) chelmsford chiropractor says:

the best one is the chiropractor when it comes to the back pain, not all back need surgery..

March 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(6) chicago chiropractor says:

They are both doctors. A chiropractor treats spinal conditions like back pain or sciatica. He/she uses natural methods such as manipulations and therapies. An Orthopedist treats the same conditions but uses medication and surgery. chicago chiropractor

March 19, 2010 at 10:32 pm
(7) chiropractor chicago says:

I think they are both doctors. But chiropractor treats spinal conditions like back pain. He/she uses natural methods such as massage and therapies. An Orthopedist treats the same conditions but uses medication and surgery. chicago chiropractor

October 25, 2010 at 2:19 pm
(8) Paul says:

All the chiropractors commenting are making it appear as if all that Orthopedist do is give medication and do surgeries. that is a total lie. first they are really doctors that go through 13 years of schooling and 5 years of residency. An Orthopedist can find the actual problem to the pain by doing X-Ray and scans and MRI’s, a chiropractors will guess at best. and you can receive the same therapy from an Orthopedist and a chiropractors. Also seeing and Orthopedist is cheaper. as you will not need weeks and weeks of “adjustments.” this is why most sports players go to an Orthopedist. chiropractors so sever a purpose but i would always suggest seeing an Orthopedist first as they can find the real issue to your pain.

June 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm
(9) Mr Ben says:

I’m so fortunate to have found an “Orthopedic Chiropractioner” , an Orthopedic surgeon and Nurologist who all have a business together.

I suffer from bulging discs both cervical and lower back and the results have been amazing just from chiropractic manipulation alone.

But recently my hand had gone numb and had partial paralysis in one finger and limited use in the others. I went to my PCP who said it wasn’t carpel and was most likely the nerve from my neck down through my arm. I was sent to get some xrays done and after that I ran by my chiropracters office. In less than 5 minutes he found one issue just by following the nerve and started treatment right there. He then consulted kindly Dr. Ortho-man and since it has been so long since my last MRI ordered a new one.

A very long time ago I used to think Chiropracters were new age quacks. Now I feel they are indispensable since mine is so sharp and seems to have studied so hard. He must have been at the top of his class. He saved me from haveing to have surgery when other surgical vultures adamantly asserted there was no other way!

But I feel its wise to mention that in conjunction with the other Doctors in his group they have all the bases covered right there. I don’t have to get a referal to see someone else and wait 2-3 weeks to see them. They are all right there in the same office.

IN short…… Chiropractioners are not generic portal entry Doctors. They are really knowledgeable and helpfull and if you are fortunate enough to find a sharp one who’s not so proud or vein to admit that he cannot help you then he’s good. He should be able to refer you to someone of equal caliber (quality) who can.

Again I am indeed fortunate to have access to all 3 disciplines in one office. It also makes perfect sense to do business this way too. All 3 diciplines are of equal importance, quality and professional character and belong together.

August 4, 2011 at 12:37 am
(10) Longmont Chiropractic says:

I think it is important to point out that just because nerve symptoms are present doesn’t mean that chiropractic cannot help you. Chiropractic is extremely effective in helping with nerve impingement. Some cases are so severe that surgery is definitely indicated but most times chiropractic can completely mitigate all symptoms. As chiropractors we are trained at diagnosing and we know our limits as to when we should refer out.