1. Health
Jonathan Cluett, M.D.

What's a "bucket-handle" meniscus tear?

By April 18, 2006

Meniscus tears come in different shapes and sizes. One type is called a "bucket-handle" tear. These large tears tend to occur in younger patients, and are always traumatic injuries (compared to degenerative tears seen in patients with early signs of wear and tear in the knee).

A bucket-handle tear is a tear around the rim of the meniscus, causing the central portion (the bucket-handle) to displace into the joint. These types of tears generally involve large amounts of the meniscus, and are often amenable to meniscus repair (rather than removal of the meniscus). Patients with these bucket-handle tears may have limited motion of the knee joint if the meniscus tear is large enough to get caught inside the knee.

Comments
February 16, 2008 at 10:12 pm
(1) Bonnie says:

Boy do I ever have a story about my bucket tear. I was at the gym and inbetween machines, my right knee locked up on me. At first I didn’t know if it was a tendon or ligament (it wasn’t my kneecap, which had been the case in the past). A MRI revealed a bucket tear in my meniscus. The pain had been horrendous, to say the least. I wouldn’t wish that kind of pain on anyone.

February 16, 2008 at 10:15 pm
(2) Bonnie says:

February 28, 2008 at 2:33 pm
(3) Mojo says:

I hear ya bud. I had injured my knee at a grappling tournament and 8 months later I am doing the warm-up exercises before class and during a crawl/push up exercise I cringe over in pain while holding my left knee. It was not pleasant. So to make a long story short… My knee will not bend back straight and I am on crutches. Scheduled surgery for tomorrow. Wish me luck.

June 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm
(4) saahil says:

Unfortunate events….. was trying to get up from a squat position at an extremely hasty pace. Lost balance and yup here i am joining the bucket handle tear club…… Getting operated tomorrow wish me luck people…..

July 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm
(5) arlene says:

I was told by my general doctor not to bother with the surgery that goes along with the bucket handle tear. I did explain to him that I don’t know how it happen. Although I go to work out about 2 or 3 times a week. But don’t go overboard…no running, heavy lifting, etc. The Mri back in April revealed the tear and the Orthopaedic doc said definitely to get the work done on the knee. What to do.? After walking around and sometimes after working out my knee gets stiff but I am able to straighten it out? Any comments or suggestions.???

July 11, 2008 at 2:18 pm
(6) Sarah says:

I just had the bucket tear surgery yesterday, and let me tell you, the pain is close to nothing, I already have good motion, I can bear weight onto my leg, all in all it was a good decision. The doctor said I’d be able to walk completely normally and even run in 2 weeks. GO FOR IT!

July 18, 2008 at 8:53 pm
(7) Karen says:

love to hear how the folks with surgery are progressing…my son (17) just did this last tuesday while wrestling and scheduled for surgery next week….as a rising senior w/ football, wrestling and lax in front of him – he is devistated….would love to know how you all are progressing..thank you

August 11, 2008 at 8:10 am
(8) Brian says:

I’ve been hobbling around for five years with bucket handle tear and trying my best to stay active with baseball and golf. Constant pain and ice packs at night. At age 57 I finally had enough and agreed to sacrifice some activity for a while in order to have surgery last week. Can’t describe the difference. I’m very mobile. Still not real good with stairs. Back to walking pain free for a mile each day on the beach. Problem is..I waited too long and now have some “bone on bone” wear and probably will only get five years before a knee replacement. My advice to those out there is to get this surgery done. Get it done quickly and behave yourself post-surgery.

August 28, 2008 at 9:14 am
(9) Karim says:

Guys any of you had an ACL tear before the bucket handle tear happened. i Have a torn ACL and i was running with my brace and all of a sudden my knee locked ( i couldnt bent it nor fully extend it ) it was ” the bucket handle tear ” now my knee goes back to its normal condition – and all of a sudden with out any alarm ( the miniscus gets caught in the knee space ) and the sas story happens again ” i cant bend it – fully extend it or walk right ” i wana do my operation … but i wana find time to do both at the same time and its kinda hard for me now .. anyone of you guys knows some temporary thingy that can prevent the meniscus in the bucket handle tear to get caught inside the knee

September 20, 2008 at 10:32 pm
(10) pam says:

have had 2 arthroscopic surgeries, the last one bucket handle dr. said removed due to my age (52) instead of repair, I am still having loads of problems with my leg,back of knee feels weird all the time, hurts, had a lot of trouble with the foot post surgery, couldn’t walk for a while, took Voltaren helped a lot, still bothered by leg pain and I guess some fear of locking up again, not able to get back into exercising like I used to, every time I try, it begins to hurt like heck and I am losing a lot of sleep over my leg pain.I think the dr. may have screwed me up. any suggestions from anyone?

October 28, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(11) kenny says:

I am a college baseball player. I have been a catcher since I was like 6 and last year my knee was sore and sometimes swelled but I figured it was just wear and tear. A couple weeks later I was running a light jog in warmups and boom I went down grasping my left knee. I got an MRI a couple of weeks later and the Doc said I had a buckethandle tear in my medial meniscus. The Doc did the surgery and I dont think this is the correct term but like Stapled it together. I was on crutches with no weight on the leg for 6 weeks. Then for 4 weeks for assisted walking while I was in rehab. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through. I am now catching again and everything is good.

November 17, 2008 at 12:29 am
(12) Ed says:

Hey everybody.
Tore my lateral meniscus in mid Septemeber ’08. Excruciating pain, couldn’t straighten of bare weight. Went to the ER, and was scheduled to meet with Orthopedic Surgeon. Got a little better and was able to walk around but not fully straighten. Sent for an MRI which revealed a bucket handle tear of my lateral meniscus in my left knee. Had surgery to repair the tair on October 2, and spent 6 weeks with no weight bareing. Came off crutches the other day, and am getting mobile again. Feeling pretty good; so much better than before the surgery. Recuperation is long, and physical theory is sore. Deffinitely recommend the surgery but follow the surgeone orders for post op recovery. And ice goes a very long way. Repairing a tear means longer recovery, but longer knee life. Removal of torn piece eases immediate pain and has much shorter recovery time, but will lead to very premature arthritis.

November 17, 2008 at 12:32 am
(13) Ed says:

Sorry about the typo’s.
Its late

November 27, 2008 at 3:20 pm
(14) Sam Burton says:

Back in February I tore my ACL wrestling day before my regional tournament.. I got it reconstructed did my rehab, was lifting and running and getting ready for wrestling season. In my training one month my leg gave out when I was jump roping on my reconstructed leg. As it turned out I had a bucket handle tear in my medial meniscus and I just got it repaired on less than a week ago. So far the pain has been less and the recovery has been much quicker by comparison. It’s been one week and I can bend it 100 degrees and can almost completely straighten it

December 7, 2008 at 11:22 pm
(15) Allison says:

I tore my ACL two years ago and was getting back to my regular self. Then, while wearing my brace my knee just locks, excruciating pain, can’t move it at all. I went to the doctor the next day and got an MRI which revealed the bucket handle tear and possible ACL damage. I’ve been in an immobilizer going on 2 weeks now. It is annoying but limits the pain. I was supposed to get “immediate” surgery but it keeps getting rescheduled (talk about frustrating, I guess it really isn’t that immediate!). I just wanted to get some opinions to make sure that by walking around on it I’m not doing more damage until they can finally get me in for surgery. Thanks!

December 20, 2008 at 3:11 am
(16) Kelii says:

My 4 yr. old daughter took off and ran away from me and wife through a parking lot so I had to chase her down. As I was running after her, I felt a pop in my right knee and kept running after her. If I didnt, who knows what might have happened to her. When I finally reached her, I felt a gush of warmth throught the knee and it swelled up quick. After a month of waiting for surgery (Kaiser!) If got a little better but no to the point where I could return to work. I’m a bell man. I just had surgery 4 days ago and my knee is still swollen but getting better. Not too much pain involved afterward just some discomfort.

January 20, 2009 at 9:13 pm
(17) Derrick says:

Im getting an mri tomorrow but my knee will not go all the way straight no matter how hard i try it hurts pretty bad but if my knee is bent it doesnt hurt at all or if it is bent to much it hurts bad to if anyone can answer this it would be very helpful to me

February 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(18) Kevin says:

I am a 30 yr old male, very active running in college approx 60 miles a week. now only 15 to 20. I am waiting on my second surgery… (on my right knee) First one was completed on my left when i was 26, both needed itdone then but the left was worse… while in recovery the doc asked if i wanted crutches or not i told him well yes dont i need them? i used the crutches to go up to my second story apartment and placed them in the closet, and never used them after. i did intense physical therapy(doing everything plus some that they told me to do.) In 4 weeks i was cleared to run again. no pain at all. but i will tell you i did at least 6 hours of work-outs a day. i built up the strength in the right but it is time. Very confident anyone doubting the surgery do it. no more middle of the night lock outs for me!! :)

March 4, 2009 at 12:20 pm
(19) Michelle says:

I tore my meniscus playing volleyball back in April, but the docs thought it could handle some PT before surgery. It kept shifting out of place and so they took another look at the MRI. Then they said I tore my ACL too, so we scheduled the surgery. Anyways, when they got in there, they saw it was a bucket handle tear only but all the walking and running I had done one it shredded it to pieces, and wasn’t repairable. Surgery was a breeze though; I was walking around the next day.

March 7, 2009 at 11:27 am
(20) Linda says:

I am looking at having ACL & medial meniscus repaired in a few weeks. How long will I be on crutches? My husband will have his meniscus repaired first part of April. Are we crazy?

March 7, 2009 at 4:18 pm
(21) ben says:

I had acl recon and menisectomy (bucket handle tear removal) sept last year. Was on crutches for about 6 weeks, first 2 are quite painful. But I would say do it, I’m 5months post op and it feels great. I’m back cycling for half hour a day, running a bit and should be playing competitive football(uk) in sept. and I cant wait!

March 15, 2009 at 4:21 pm
(22) jane says:

I original damaged my knee in 1981. Had 6 weeks in plaster, followed by physio. It took up to a year before I could kneel. About 8 years ago It did it again,then again about 4 years ago. A lot of fear had developed over time, and each time my knee locked with horrible pain it took up to 6 months to get back to normal. I used to sit cross legged on the floor, squat etc but not any more.
At no point had I been offered an MRI, Just an X Ray which showed nothing.
When my knee went again, when asleep I couldn’t believe it. I have now had an MRI and it shows a probable Bucket Handle Tear to the laterial meniscus, with the rear horn absent. 4 months on I can walk, straighten my leg and almost squat. I am due to have an arthroscopy but am frightened it may go wrong. At 52 I want to be active and just do what I used to do without the fear of it locking again,

May 20, 2009 at 12:41 pm
(23) danny says:

5 and half years ago i was playing football and my knee went, i went to the hospital that day and they told me i sprained my knee, the other day my knee completely went and i had to have a MRI the results come through and ive ruptured my crucuit ligaments my lateral ligament a bucket handle tears and a ruptured cist.

June 1, 2009 at 11:21 am
(24) ally bongo says:

came down the stairs and knee locked coudn’t bend it for three hours or more, hurt like mad, went to the doctors next week, put me on nuroxen, for two weeks, still hurts he now has put me on them for 4 weeks and given me a support bandage and codydromols. says he thinks it is a bucket tear and possible cartlidge damage. Hurts like mad for the last three days, could have cried. Don’t know what to do, any suggestions.

July 7, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(25) lee says:

hello i have had a acl in the left knee (1999 pattela graft) and right knee (2002 hamstring graft) 3 weeks ago whilst running backwards and turning i heard a click/knocking noise out of my right knee and thought s**t.
i could not bend it at 1st and it became swollen.
i have had a mri and been diagnosed with the following.
bucket-handle tear of medial meniscus with displacment into intercondylar notch,large joint effusion with presumed lateral meniscal tear.
up for a op in 2 weeks any thoughts anyone. apparently depends on the tear with respect to recovery time.

July 29, 2009 at 7:29 am
(26) Jackie says:

I was 17 when i was hit in the knee hard playing tennis. I couldnt walk for 2 weeks Thought nothing more of it until I was 20 playing softball and then my knee locked up really bad and was tight and wouldnt extend. Had an MRI and it came back that I had completely ruptured my ACL when i was 17 and because i continued playing sport without seeking treatment i had a large bucket handle tear of the right medial meniscus. Had surgery but the could only stitch the medial miniscus was meant to go back 6 months later for a complete ACL reconstruction and didnt (biggest regret) now 2 years later I have torn the stitching from surgery of the meniscus and it is alot worse now than before.
A poor surgeons nightmare
My advice is get surgery ASAP

August 4, 2009 at 10:43 am
(27) Ingham says:

I’m 31 now.

I had my operation some years ago now for my bucket handle tear (3 or 4 years, I can’t remember). The operation itself was a huge relief afterwards. I walked out of the hospital unaided… didn’t even need to stay overnight (although I did have some fairly impressive opiate painkillers and the anesthetic was still in there doing it’s job to some extent).

The next day it was sore but I could walk on it and 4 days later I was back at work (a desk job, I’ll add).

I did my exercises and after about 2-3 months it was completely back to normal… I’d favored my other leg a little though so that too hurt for a while.

I have noticed pain in winter though which I was prescribed Naproxen Sodium for which helped but it’s not nice on the stomach after a few days use. I should note there is no swelling whatsoever, it’s just moderate pain with no apparent cause.

I’m going to try Nurofen Plus this winter as it’s codeine (for the pain) and ibuprofen to reduce swelling (if there is any).

If any of you are having second thoughts about the operation though, don’t… it’s better than the alternative of never knowing your knee will cause sheer agony when it does “lock”.

;)

August 14, 2009 at 9:05 pm
(28) tsb says:

I have a medial meniscal bucket handle tear, and the doc said the size of it was about 3.5 cms. I’ve had the pain for over a year, but it suddenly started getting worse a couple of months ago. now i cant really run, and definitely cant crouch or kneel without my knee “catching”. Immediately after, i cant put any weight on the knee but a little self-chiro and within a couple of minutes, i m abck to normal.

Is the meniscus repair really possible for a tear of such a big dimension? I dont want to go into surgery and then when i wake up, they tell me that they had to remove the meniscus completely.

I m 22 yrs old.

August 15, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(29) Stew says:

tsb: if it can be repaired they will do it. If not, the only option is to remove part of it or you will suffer further tearing and it will keep catching. i am sure they will try to repair it, if so the recovery is longer – I had mine done 5 weeks ago and have had to wear a knee brace until know. If they remove part of it your recovery is much quicker but you are likely to suffer arthritis in your knee earlier in your life.

August 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm
(30) Kevin M says:

I was told that i may have a bucket handle tear on my right knee, i had a mri done and the orthopedic said there were signs of liquid and that could mean it was a tear but they couldn’t see the tear in the mri. I’m a extremely athletic and active person, i’ve been a amateur fighter since i’ve been 16 yrs old and have been brought up and raised in a healthy yoga lifestyle. I hurt it at a brazilian jiu jitsu (grappling) tournament, and now everytime i train in bjj it seems to lock up.. I work at a restaurant and walk all the time and it doesn’t effect me at all, only when i seem to train is when it would randomly lock up. I’m 20 yrs old and training is literally my life, it’s all i care about. I’m just curious of what i can do for it, i’m reading everywhere how a surgery seems to be the prevalent option and i’m just scared of it ruining my career in doing what i love to do.. I was hoping to compete in the world championships this year 8(

Any input on this is much appreciated, i’m just confused and would like to know what i could be dealing with here.

August 23, 2009 at 12:21 pm
(31) Joseph D says:

Kevin: I have been training BJJ on and off since 1994 and after several injuries throught out the years. I finaly tore my right medical meniscus on 2004. Had the surgery went through physical therapy and was able to return back to training using my brace in about a year. Keep in mind that I was 38 at the time. Now I am 42 and last Saturday I retore my right knee during training while caught in a leg lock. I am schedult for surgery on the 25th of this month. Recovery will be slow but that will not stop me from having and active life style and going for my dreams. My advice to you is to have the surgery, follow the doctor’s instructions to a ‘T’ and be patient. You will soon be on the road to recovery and back in training stronger than before. Best of luck!

August 28, 2009 at 1:43 pm
(32) Flora says:

I injured my knee a 6 days ago. I had already sprained it when skiing 3 years ago. I didn’t get it checked out back then as I was on holiday (mistake! should have at least got it looked at when I got home) and do don’t know exactly what I did but suspect a sprain of some sort. This time I heard a noise in my knee (crack or pop) on Thursday and then two days later on Saturday I just stood up from sitting on the ground and it went. Couldn’t weight bear, couldn’t bend – nothing! Went to A&E and a doctor said cruciate (ACL) but referred to orthopedics for today (friday) and turns out they were wrong as it is bucket handle tear. It is so comforting to read all these other stories! I am told this is a better injury to have that ACL tear or rupture. I had MRI too and am to have operation next week some time. Was scared to start with but is key hole and very reassured by doc so am now feeling confident! I am 27 and not particularly sporty (not like 60 miles a week mentioned above!). More like 20 minutes 2-3 times a week and the odd all day bike ride/surf. Didn’t think I’d get a sporting injury but guess it can happen to anyone. Need to make sure I do my exercises!

September 2, 2009 at 1:54 pm
(33) max says:

I have had three knee surgeries for lateral meniscus tears–two on the right and one on the left. All three surgeries happened in my twenties–don’t do it, I had nice run of ten years hiking, biking, and playing ultimate, but now in my mid-thirties my knees hurt all the time–basically my cartilage has been roto-rootered out of both my knees, because cautious and don’t expect the surgeon to “cure” you–I am dreading the next thirty years on these gimpy wooden knees.

September 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm
(34) ed says:

on sept 10 2009 i felt my knee lock up while climbing into the back of a pickup truck on the tailgate from the ground. i had my right foot on the tailgate and my left foot on the ground .went to push off from my left foot and it locked up and it felt like my meniscus( i tore same left meniscus in 1999 so i knew the feeling) it locked up 6 more times that day and when i straightened my leg out it will unlock. i never had it do it so many times in the same day before so i was going to make appt. to have it looked at.

the next night i was at work and twisted it the wrong way and my knee gave out on me and i could not get it to “unlock”. i had mri and was told i have the bucket handle tear (didnt have bucket handle in 1999) and also hae a torn acl. i now have surgery to repair the meniscus scheduled for oct 14 and cant walk on my knee(without crutches) until then because it is so painful to put weight on my knee. was told it would take 6 months – year for full recovery for acl so probably will put that off until i can afford to be out of work that long.

October 12, 2009 at 9:54 pm
(35) Javier says:

Well, I had a bucket handle tear about 3 weeks ago college soccer game, it locked right away, could extend my leg more than 100 degrees. They told me it was just a MCL sprain, but after the MRI, it showed up the BHT. I had surgery on October the 7th, its been almost a week, the first 4 days i was in excrusiating pain, it was not pretty, today after 5 days of hell went to the doctor, and they drained about 50 cubic centimeters of fluids and blood out of my knee, that helped a lot, ( they shoulda done that right after surgery) causing pressure to be like no other on my knee causing the pain. Its been about 10 hours after the drainage thingy, it feels a lot better. I had about 4,5 more weeks of crutches, and then imma able to put weight on it again and I should be ready to roll in about 6 months, playing competitive soccer that is :D

October 22, 2009 at 9:15 pm
(36) sterling says:

I just had surgery on r-knee: ACL and displaced bucket handled tear of the lateral meniscus. Went well, now 3 days later it already feels better than before the opperation. This is my second surgery on this knee over the years. Get a good surgon, good prayer (makes a really difference with the pain), don’t put it off, and really follow through with the theropy. Start Slower than the trainer wants, end higher (do more reps, more often, etc). Went through 6 weeks with first opperation, years later found that good knee was 4 times stronger than my injured knee. I was having pain in both knees, both hips, and sometime both ankles — felt 80 years old. 6 weeks in the gym working on balancing the two legs I had almost no pain! sometimes no pain = lots of pain. Steady, small pain in the gym can really help. Continue theropy for a year after they say your done. — God Bless your knees.

October 30, 2009 at 12:12 am
(37) jon says:

i was playing football and my leg got stuck under me and clicked and popped. Then I later had a sack and my knee locked and I got an almost cramp like feeling in my knee. I have a bucket handle tear, getting surgery 2marro, does anybody know hwo long the recovery time is?

November 5, 2009 at 11:46 pm
(38) Justin says:

I tore my meniscus doing some streches after a hip hop class and right as I got on my head for a breakdancing move during a breaking session. I feel that the extending of my legs after the new stretches probably did the trick. I am getting surgery in a couple of weeks. How common is it to have your meniscus tear in the other knee (meaning, are both knees prone?) What can I do to avoid hurting the other? (Does glucosamine help?)

November 15, 2009 at 8:00 am
(39) Tiberious says:

I am 24 years old, I rockclimb which is not that high impact on the joints. I twisted my knee almost 3 months ago tearing the medial meniscus bucket handle style.. didn’t go down but knew well and truly, at that time, something was wrong.. could not straiten the leg, nor bare weight, ended up on crutches, off work, pretty much bed bound for a few days.. within those first few days I found hot paths helped relax the leg muscles having been traumatized by the injury and loosened up a little after evry night.. each day following I could stretch the leg a little more and bare a bit more weight.

A week later, I could walk well and had no need for the crutches, however, on that same day in bed that morning, being able to bend and straiten my leg fully I rolled over and knelt on, and then felt it go again. Instinctively recognizing the same painful symptoms I felt sick in the stomach, knowing that one weeks recovery had been totally reverted, landing me in the same sad predicament from the week before.

2 months on hoping to have my arthroscopic operation this week, my movements are still restricted though I can bare all my body weight, carry some heavy things, I can’t really run nor jump.. I can ascend stairs fine, the trouble is with descending stairs and sometimes rising from sitting. I’ve since seen two orthopedic specialist and found the second opinion most valuable.. if you are uncertain with only one Dr’s opinion, or if he is vague and hurried and perhaps money hungry like in my first case.. then get a second opinion.. If only to reassure yourselves.

All the best.

January 9, 2010 at 1:26 pm
(40) Sierra says:

I am a 15 yr old female. I just recently had meniscal surgery on my right knee after hurting it playing softball. My knee had felt a poppiing sensation in it 3 times before i went to the doctor. I am also a dancer and very active in other sports including basketall and i believe it was just ware and tear on my knee.
It was a bad ‘bucket handle’ tear, but was repaired quite cleanly as said by the doctors. They used 2 ties to hold the two parts of my meniscus together & i was sent out on crutches. I have been on them for 6 weeks, I have just renently been able to put weight on it 2 weeks ago & will most likely be on for another 2 weeks.
With physical therapy 2 – 3 times a day & taking it easy it seems to be healing properly. Pain every now & then but i guess that is part of the process. I hope this message is helpful :)

January 12, 2010 at 4:37 am
(41) Shaun Dulay says:

I’m 20 years old and a full time student @ University of Washington. I just got a full MCL and a partial ACL repair on the 8th of Jan.

I play basketball and work out all the time and when my knee locks, I just pop it back in place and play some more let’s say around August. Finally I had enough and went to the doctors and got an MRI in November and told me I’m going to need surgery. Finally in Jan, doctors said MCL was almost gone but they graphed my hamstring.

Make sure you talk with your advisers, professors, and job before you get surgery because the prescribed drugs and narcotics will cause you to feel quite different.

It’s only been 3 days and I feel very optimistic about my recovery. Always have someone to talk to and laugh with.

Bless you all and I hope this helps

January 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm
(42) Jason says:

Well, I have a love hate relationship with my left knee. I tore my ACL my senior year of high school playing football. Made a quick recovery and was able to play basketball that season (very late in the season). I then tore my MCL playing football in college. Finally my senior year I had a bucket handle tear of the lateral meniscus again playing football. I have to say I would take 10 ACL tears over the bucket handle it was an awful experience.

Well little to my knowledge there is a good chance it will tear again which happened this January 8.5 years after the first time it tore in college. Same pain and now I don’t have a dedicated training staff for the recovery. Now I have 4.5 more weeks on crutches. I guess it make you feel blessed when you are healthy and this will probably give me more drive to stay in shape.

January 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(43) chiara says:

i am a 15 year old female. i had surgery 2 years ago , to reconstruct my ACL. and it look a year recovery. i tore it in a karate tournament doing a flip. and last friday i was practicing a flip and i felt a pop. i went to the doctor and the doctor saw my old MRI before this happened. and said i had a meniscus tare , thats in an area that does heal back.
but im pretty sure i did something worse to my meniscus because i cant resume to my activies liike i did before. the doctor said for sure i didnt tear my ACL (thank god).
so im just going to wait and see how made the damage is
hopefully i dont need any surgery.

January 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm
(44) chiara says:

sorry for the grammical errors

February 11, 2010 at 8:13 am
(45) Leann says:

I’m with you on this one; I was in the middle of a lunge in an aerobics class and went down like a ton of bricks. Absolute agony, my leg wouldn’t straighten up and I had to be taken to the emergency room at the local hospital. After an hour on gas and air while they tried to straighten my leg I was eventually sent to a ward where they put me out to straighten it. I spent 5 days in hospital in a splint before they could operate and after much hard work and physio got full motion back. Only problem now is that 12 years down the line I’ve been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis due to the trauma to the joint. Ah well, just means more anti-inflammatory tablets I suppose, I’m not giving up my exercise.

March 15, 2010 at 8:45 pm
(46) Lourdes says:

On Feb. 26,2010, I had Arthroscopic surgery for torn, broken menisucs, understand 20 percent was removed. Had hit my knee with a chair, I cont. gym. and doing, hurt myself more..Had liquid remove 40 cc. then had the surgery..Have no pain. Have had therapy, many. My problem is have this terrible swollen feeling inside my knee which bothers me so. Same feeling had before the surgery have had no relief. so confused and worried..I am 66, years old..WAs very active and now I am not.

April 4, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(47) Sam says:

My knee was really screwed up. I could not bend my knee at all and cannot put weight on it. Turned out, I had a torn ACL, tears in my lateral meniscus, and buckethandle tear in my medial meniscus. Had surgery about 2 weeks ago, the doctor used the patella tendon for ACL reconstruction, removed 25% of my lateral meniscus, and then fixed the medial buckethandle tear. The first week was the worst, my left leg just felt like it was dead and was really painful. After a week, I was able to bend and lift it with little pain. I’ll be on crutches for a total of 6 weeks, and then should resume light activity like running and biking. What sucks is that I am a college student, and going to and from class is just such a hassel.

April 11, 2010 at 1:29 am
(48) Trevor says:

I had surgery on my right knee for a bucket handle meniscus tear. It was a lateral tear. The tear occupies a good portion of my meniscus. Because I am young the doctor said he could repair it. How do I Know if it is going to heal? I still have pain in my knee when I straighten my knee all the way. When I walk on it it hurts all the way down to my ankles. I was non weight bearing for 3 weeks. If it doesn’t heal can it be removed since it is a massive tear?

April 20, 2010 at 9:39 pm
(49) Rachel says:

Had ACL surgery which involved fixing a chipped bone and cartilage as well more than 15 years ago while in high school. Never had a problem with that knee until about two weeks ago when playing volleyball I lunged for a ball and my knee went “pop”. I was able to walk off the floor, but I have been in pain ever since and haven’t been able to bend my knee more than 45 degrees. MRI just revealed I have a significant bucket-handle tear. Because of my age (34) my doc will remove it instead of repairing.

April 27, 2010 at 10:13 am
(50) E says:

About five months ago, I fell and as I fell, my left knee twisted sideways. Every time I tried to get up, it would feel as though it would pop out of place and I would lose my balance and fall again. I went to the hospital where they told me it was just a sprain and simply to ice and elevate it. After that, my knee just didn’t feel the same. It would pop out of place when I would walk but if I corrected my walking, I could stop myself from falling and I had a bad limp. About two weeks later, I fell again and heard a loud POP as my knee twisted sideways again. I went to the hospital, I couldn’t walk and was told to wear a knee brace while I wanted for my orthopeadic surgeon appointment and at the very worst it would be torn cartilage. Long story short, the surgeon sent me for an MRI and it turned out I had massive blood pooling in my knee, a torn ACL, a bucket handle tear and was in emergency surgery four days later. The recovery process is very slow. I am now four months out of surgery and still in Physiotherapy trying to regain my quad muscle. I don’t think I would wish this type of injury on my worst enemy as the first few days post-op are not pleasant. But I am walking again and working hard to get back to where I was before I fell!

May 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm
(51) Cody says:

I am 17 years old and back in early February I was participating in P.E. class and was running full speed while pivoting on my left leg to bend and pick up the ball mid-game. Another one of my classmates came full speed running into me as I had just one leg holding my body weight and POP went my knee and I collided with the wall. I could not get up on my own power and had to have two people help me to get up and sit down. It hurt like crazy for about 15 mins. I later went to my doc and he claimed it was just a bad sprain. Mind you this was 3 days after the incident. As of 2 weeks ago I had it checked out by a specialist and he set me up for a MRI as he felt my knee, poking and prodding he said he thought my ACL was torn. Turns out as of last Tuesday MRI results were in and found out my ACL was completely torn and from most likely going on for months without treatment I now have a large bucket handle tear. Scheduling surgery later today, has to be done reading these other comments. My advice is to go through with it after reading these other cases. Another tip is to get it checked out by a specialist ASAP if your having problems/symptoms.

June 28, 2010 at 2:14 am
(52) TJ says:

So I’m 15 and I’ve had two bucket handle tears on the same knee in less then a year. Had surgery on it in January and less then 6 months later it happened again. The first time was during my P.E. class and happened while switching from push-up position to sit-up position I stood up almost instantly with my leg bent and almost passed out, the second time was during a basketball game, it wasn’t as bad and i just sat down and called my uncle to come pick me up with my old crutches and take me home. I’ve learned i should wait a few months before actually doing anything to make this happen again. Surgery is soon, it’s not so bad :D

August 4, 2010 at 12:10 pm
(53) MH says:

About a month ago i was at a volleyball camp when i lunged to volley a ball, i heard a crack and i instantly couldn’t straighten my knee. i couldnt even hop to get myself off the court because of the pain. the pain came and it was incredible. i went to emerge and they told me i tore my meniscus and i should recover in a few weeks. i knew something was not right because i still couldnt move my knee or weight bare. i went to a specialist and he told me i had a medial meniscus bucket tear and i went for an mri and it confirmed it. it was a bad tear and got into surgery about 2 weeks after the incident. it is now about 2 weeks post op and im in a straight leg splint for 6 to 8 weeks. first few days post op was terrible but it is getting better. i am going into gr 12 and on a competitive volleyball team that starts in november. i really hope i can still play.. my advice is to get the surgery and listen to exactly what your surgeon says and dont rush the recovery time.

August 6, 2010 at 2:20 am
(54) Losha says:

Yeah, 17 year old here. My first doc misdiagnosed and I ran a whole season on the bad knee then it locked up again this summer. New doc (who had the sense to schedule an MRI) got the right diagnosis and surgery is soon. Hopefully the cartilage is repairable.

August 15, 2010 at 11:20 am
(55) JDL51 says:

In 1986 while working, I was squatting and my left knee started hurting. By the time I got home it had swollen up the size of a softball. Went to the doctor, had an arthrogram done and was told it was a bucket handle tear of the meniscus. He said if I didn’t get it fixed right away it could get worse and require emergency surgery. Went home to think about it and my business partner told me that he had the same problem, but all he did was sit down, extend the leg and flex the thigh muscle a few times a day for a couple of weeks or so. I tried it, the swelling disappeared, the leg felt better and I never got the surgery. It does bother me on occasion but just a slight twinge every once in a while. Walking distance is no problem, or hiking mountains. I’m now 59 years old and haven’t had any serious problems with it.

September 14, 2010 at 4:57 am
(56) Holly says:

In february 2009, I slipped on ice and hurt my knee went to the doctors and he said i had just ‘sprained’ my knee he told me to rest and take painkillers. So I did as I was told and gradually over about a month it became better. So I thought, one day getting out of the bath I put my knee down on the floor and it went, the most excrutiating pain i have ever had! After that it would go and ‘crunch’ nearly every other day and my knee became very week. I went to a different doctor then and she sent me for x-rays which showed nothing. During that week of her sending me for x-rays and getting the results i had been to a&e because every time i put weight on my knee it would go. My doctor refered me to a ‘knee specialist’ (if thats what you call him!!!) and he said there was nothing wrong and said the last thing he wanted to was operate! So off i toddle thinking there is nothing wrong, then one day i was at work an was going down stairs to the cellar my knee went and i fell down the stairs. Went to a&e again they found fluid on my knee and was refered to another specialist and he decided to operate, had the arthroscopy and found i had ruptured my ACL and had two big bucket handle tears on bothe miniscus’. Recently i have had my ACL reconstructed and another tear taken out from my meadial – it’s been nearly 2 years now and all that time of my life wasted because they couldn’t see what was wrong 13 appointments to see doctors specialists and a&e and none of them could see it!

September 28, 2010 at 4:02 pm
(57) chey says:

Soo Just tore my meniscus 3 days ago… was running up the field and my knee froze and as i planted my knee bent inwards and cracked.. The pain was unbearable and i still have not been able to bend my knee. Went to the specialist the next day and was diagnosed with the bucket handle tear. I am a fourth year college soccer player who will not be able finish my last season unfortunately. I went for an mri today and hopefully will get the surgery in 2 weeks. Any advice on what to do or how to make the injury feel better while waiting for surgery?

October 2, 2010 at 11:06 pm
(58) roy says:

if you tore your meniscus,your e history
nothing in this world can help
don t kid yourself, just horror storys all around

October 4, 2010 at 11:15 am
(59) Kristie says:

I’m an active 47 year old female that suffered a bucket handle tear on my medial mesiscus playing tennis. Like others, I heard a pop and went down. My knee locked up and the pain was horrendous. An MRI revealed the tear and due to it’s size surgery was recommended for removal. My tennis team is due to compete at state in November. When I asked about delaying surgery and trying to play with a brace my doctor discouraged this. He said doing so with such a large tear would be like driving on the rim of a flat tire. You risk damaging the joint which is more difficult to repair. I had the suregery last Friday. I was partial weight bearing the next day (inspite of another tear discovered on the lateral meniscus) too. I have some swelling but the knee already feels more stable. I am striving to be back on the courts by November! I recommend taking care of the problem if you’re in this situation.

October 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(60) Casey says:

I’ve just turned 20 and have been playing soccer and baseball since the age of 5. Three years ago I was simply sitting down and as i went to get up there was incredible pain in my right knee, it was later diagnosed as a bucket handle tear and had surgery a couple of days after. Being in my final year of high school, I spent upto 2 months on crutches. After many problems with my so called good knee, I was at baseball training and as i twisted, something went wrong inside my knee. I have an MRI today but as i cant bend, straighten or weight bear and I am in similar pain to a few years ago, I am certain that I once again have a bucket handle tear. One thing is I dont think I will be able to handle not weight bearing for six weeks again :|

October 22, 2010 at 1:12 am
(61) Richie says:

Got my bucket handle tear during a summer wrestling program. I didnt go to the doctors for it so i finished the summer in excruciating pain after every practice. It died down during football season but wrestling season was coming around again and i started to practice again. Right before my junior season i finally went to the doctors. Missed pretty much the whole season. My advice to anybody with an injury, go to the doctors or it will only get worse! I was stupid enough not to and I payed the price.

October 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm
(62) roy says:

sorry for what i posted before 58
this injurie is terrible situation
but we ll overcome it
and be back on the courts again

god is our father

November 1, 2010 at 9:04 am
(63) Brodiem says:

I have played a whole season of footy to this date with a bucket tear, im 15 and only a few days ago was revealed on an mri that it was quite a severe tear. Op to get it removed early next year yay!.

November 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm
(64) nichole says:

i was at lake powell on labor day weekend and was riding onthe tube when i came off and hurt my knee… i went to two doctors and two physical therapists before i was refered to an orthopedic surgeon… now i have to get an mri and have my miniscus completely taken out… i am 15 and will have arthritis before i turn 30

November 10, 2010 at 12:36 am
(65) miles says:

16. hurt my knee in football last year, ignored it and just waited for it to heal, i figured i just sprained it or something. But this summer while i was water skiing i popped it and reinjured it, again i just waited a while and it was fine within a couple weeks. went through the entire football season with no problems. then the first practice of wrestling i popped my knee again and this time it was excruciating pain, and i could not apply pressure to it much less walk on it, so my mom immediately took me to the emergency room and they got me an x ray and the x ray was good so the doctor referred me to a orthopedic surgeon. the surgeon scheduled me an mri and now a day later im told i have a lateral bucket tear of meniscule and i cant do any sports for 6 months and im getting surgery tommorow. is it a good idea to go straight in to surgery and get it done? and im kind of nervous because the surgeon said he might have to remove the entire meniscus. is this safe? please let me know what you think. thanks.

December 15, 2010 at 2:47 am
(66) Antonio says:

Okay so i must be the worst of the bunch , no pride in stating the extent of my knee injuries , back in ’01 whilst performing a lay-up at 10 pm at night at some high school bball court , landed dead straight on my right leg , a forward-pop there goes my acl , had a hamstring graft 6 months later no problem i was 19 at the time . ’08 playing goalkeeper in futsal 5-a-side indoor soccer/football , i had jumped out to the edge of my goalkeeping zone ( the D ) punched the ball clear over some 6 foot + dude , landed on an angle and totally destroyed my left knee , it popped on the medial side so i not only ruptured my left acl i also stage-3 tore my mcl , bone bruising & pcl bruising . I weird feeling having felt the sensation of my femur and tibia -

December 15, 2010 at 2:49 am
(67) Antonio says:

collide in a “compact trauma ” as i have personally described it , do not know the medical term for it . So i opted for the lars ligament which to my knowledge was just made available to us australians , even though i told my surgeon initially about artificial ligaments upon my initial visit to which he denied that there would be such an option available for me . Well on my second visit to the hospital , guess what ?? ” we now have available the lars artificial ligament ” oh really ?? ya dont say you idiot ! in my head of course the darn thing was only in what it was back then stage 3 after only a DECADE or so of clinical trials , some people at hospitals are absolute retards … anyway back to l.a.r.s ‘ ligament advanced reinforcement system ‘ from what i remember , polyurethane teraftelight , stronger than steal , though it can still rupture at the ‘bore’ points where they have attatched it to prosthetic screws that are drilled between the remainder of my natural acl ‘stumps’ it takes about a year or so for the scar tissue to weave and grow over these ‘bore’ points thus protecting the weakest point of the lars ligament . Onto my rehab , lets just say it was

December 15, 2010 at 2:50 am
(68) Antonio says:

-worth the wait as i had waited for about a year for the lars ligament as my operation dates were postponed several times , in any case i had a swift recovery , my first futsal match after the total knee-recon was exactly 10 weeks . Wait it gets even better , i was back to work as a ceramic tiler ( yes thats my profession & the main reason why my knees are so weak ) if you do not know what a tiler does , he spends hours upon hours on his knees laying floor tiles , getting up and down pivoting with weight etc … you get the point . Anyway i was back to work within 3 weeks …!!! Now i am currently injured for the third time , wait my knee you say ? what a wild guess !! :P now it is no ligament or acl , dreaded acl hate you both !! wait i no longer have any natural acl ligaments , :) yey … :P anyway i am currently injured with a ‘displaced bucket handle tear’ great so i have not done further dame to my previously repaired ligaments , i only ‘rimmed’ the hell out of my medial miniscus . Okay so this story allow me to elaborate , i was experiencing ‘cracking’ sensations in my knee following a twisting injury during a futsal match , now my leg was tender for a few days but then after i was fine . Until i started my long hard hour labour type jobs and my futsal , every now and then it would just ” crack ” and there would be two types , a mild crack to which i could continue right after , and a major-type crack which would re-tenderize my

December 15, 2010 at 2:51 am
(69) Antonio says:

-knee to which i’d need to walk it off for a few days . In the meantime i was seeing physios and was trying desperately to get a referral for an mri , though because i was not seriously injured at the time the hospital did not care nor did my physio know what was wrong , stability tests were good and all the like , he could find nothing . I initially though i had mildly torn my mcl , and then thought about the prospect of suffering from a miniscal tear . In the meantime i was scheduled to see a sergeon at the public hospital near by , though funnily enough once i was on track to book an mri i had ‘done’ my menisus , though im thinking it was always damaged and instead of resting i kept up with my activities , eg. i would be at the gym pumping quad-curls with a good 50kg on the bar , now i’d cracked my knee a fee times whilst excersizing like that , it would crack and the weights would just drop ! and i’d hoble off in slight pain . Now i am thinking that there was a slight tear that increased over time , and if the darn physios had of told me this perhaps i would have stopped . Then again because i am slim healthy and have a great deal of muscle on my quads and calfs perhaps it was masking the injury . Though as of the present it has been two weeks and i am still limping , not that much pain in straightning or bending but in walking there is pain . As for when i done the meniscus well and trully my leg was ‘locked’ in a bent position for the rest of the night . The

December 15, 2010 at 2:55 am
(70) Antonio says:

following day i went to hospital and one of the guys checked for locking fragments , to which he could not hear any . So he procceeded to straigten my leg , oh man that was torture ! so thats my story , im sure i will undergo an arthoscope and be back within a month or so post-op . I forgot to mention that i had my knee heavily taped at the time and i was only warming up to play a match !! It seems that i have endured so much pain but really , if you keep your weight to a minimum , bulk up your leg mas , forget about upper body and train your legs like i have you can go through these ordeals more swiflty than many . The only mild pain i ever felt in my knees post-op once full recovered was when it was really cold without moving my knees for a while , apart from that all was well . I hope i will not aquire any major joint dysfunction later in life that does scare me , i may slow down with work and train my legs more harder to avoid other incidents with my knees . Oh yes shall i conclude on a another comical note , whenever a nurse or a doctore asks me which knee have i had the knee-recon performed on i say ” take your pick , they have both been done ;) ” or something smart-ass along those lines , and the looks on there faces is a mastercard priceless moment ! they kind of look down with a slight sigh as if to say , man this poor bastard he is f***ed , lol !!!
Apologies for the “penta-post”
This was my story i hope you all enjoyed … :)

January 2, 2011 at 11:28 pm
(71) PARKER says:

MY SON (17 YR OLD) SUFFERED A LATERAL BUCKET HANDLE TEAR LAST BASEBALL SEASON. DUE TO HIS YOUNG AGE THE SUGERON REPAIRED IT. UNLIKE REMOVING IT, THE REPAIR REQUIRES MUCH LONGER RECOVERY HEALING TIME. THE MENICUS DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD BLOOD SUPPLY. THEY TEND TO HEAL BETTER WHEN DONE WITH ACL SURGERY. HE WAS ON CRUTCHES WITH NOT WEIGHT BEARING FOR 6 WEEKS. DID NOT HAVE TO GO TO P.T. BUT RODE STATIONARY BIKE STARTING AT 6 WEEKS. IN 5 MONTHS HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL AGAIN AND NOW IS PLAYING HIS COLLEGE FRESHMAN YEAR. NOT EVEN 50% OF REPAIRS HEAL BUT IF YOU ARE YOUNG THAN YOU WILL BE IN THE 50% THAT DOES (USUALLY).

February 13, 2011 at 12:02 am
(72) Sal says:

A lunge and twist in Softball at 14, a reconstruction at 16. Now 45 my last MRI showed no ACL, abnormality involving medial margin of the patella, both femoral condyle and medial tibial condyle. Bucket handle tear of both medial and lateral meniscus. Intact collateral ligaments. Minor bone marrow oedema, large joint effusion and osteoarthritis in all compartments.
I say to all the young injuries out there…. keep the muscles surrounding as strong as you can and strap as much if needed to play the best in sport you can and don’t limit yourselves.
I suppose it’ll be a new knee for me when older as I think it’s too damaged to deal with now. It doesn’t stop me though.
Sal

February 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm
(73) Antonio says:

I had my arthroscopic surgery on the 21st of January , the operation lasted 24 minutes and unfortunately my medial meniscus was partially removed , to what extent i still need to find out through medical documents that i will track down through FOI (freedom of information) , i assume (hope) the crack was not too deep as it worries me to have that ‘bone-vs-bone scenario later on down the track . My rehabilitation has been going back to the gym and building up my quad and calf muscles . I also purchased a special ‘ice-brace’ that i can strap around my knee and inflate with a hand pump , much like what doctors use to test blood pressure . I plan to also ice my knees before indoor soccer games in the future as well as using knee tape as added support .The other very important thing people with knee injuries must know is to keep your weight as trim as possible , no upper body fat or extra muscle weight as it adds strain to your knees during every day use such as walking around etc … Though be sure to beef up your leg mass , doctors never tell you these things as they fear of ‘offending’ people . Apart from all this my knee still ‘cracks’ which is a worry , not as bad as prior to surgery but still it takes away the confidence of returning to sport , so wish me luck in my endeavors . I shall be back to report again when i have further information to share :)

Antonio …

February 22, 2011 at 11:20 am
(74) Debbie says:

I have been suffering with knee pain, knee swelling, knee locking up and knee popping since my early twenties. I had an MRI on my right knee in my twenties and the Dr said it had too much wear and tear for surgery to help. Back in 2001 I started to experience the same pain, swelling etc… in my left knee. It would hurt, swell and within a few days it would feel better but never 100%. I sorta learned to deal with the pain. This past Thanksgiving I was playing in the yard with my Great Nephew and my left knee popped back and I went down to the ground in pain. Had to go to the ER. It started to feel a little better then two more times it popped out and the last time it did there was no more walking for me. It was the worse pain I ever felt in my life. I just had my sugery for a “Bucket Handle” tear in my Medium Mencusis on Feb. 17th 2011. Thank God I did. I was back at work on the 21st. I am still having a little trouble walking but very little pain. I was laid up for 3 wks waiting to have the surgery and the muscles in that leg had gotten really weak. I believe within a week or so I will be 100% once again!

March 27, 2011 at 8:59 am
(75) John says:

I was splitting fire wood and stacking it when my knee just gave out. I could barely stand up the pain was excruciating and had to go inside and put ice on it. Went to my Orthopedic and was diagnosed with Medial meniscus tear with a displaced fragment centrally into the joint,joint effusion (water on the knee) and ruptured Baker’s cyst and a grade ll sprain of the medial collateral ligament as well as the ACL and PCL. Scheduled for emergency surgery next week 3/29/11. Cant wait to get back on track with knee, nice to see the positive outcomes of other peoples experience with this.

April 4, 2011 at 8:48 pm
(76) Mitchell says:

Medial meniscus tear with ruptured ACL
$14.000 to fix privately or 12 month waiting list in public system.

April 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm
(77) zark77 says:

i have a bucket tear as we speak the injury is almost a year old and at first i couldnt straighten my left leg out and to this date it hurts like hell im a persnal trainer and i thought it would heal but i was wrong my left leg has lost so much power and size i have to get it fixed,i hurt it playing basketball dam this sucks

April 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(78) emmy says:

when i was seven i went to a dr and he said that i was going to need surgery for cartilage deterioration but i did not need it right away, so needless to say the pain and popping of my knee went on for eight years and just now im being told i need surgery asap for a torn meniscus. the pain is always unbearable so i am constantly trying to massage my knee. my surgery is planned for june something becauuse im still in school. i think that there is probably going to be some bone damage. hope it all goes well wish me luck

May 28, 2011 at 9:03 am
(79) mc says:

Not the type of operation you want to leave untreated. the menisci don’t get sufficient blood flow to allow for proper healing. Tried to let it heal and about 5 months later I was back to square one. 7 years later after the surgery, the knee aches when I’m NOT active. Cycling and leg extensions help the achiness subside. Sitting cross legged is problematic, but stretches to open the hips will protect the knee in those postures. Currently working as a firefighter and the knee doesn’t hinder my performance.

(operation in Canada, FREE!)

May 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm
(80) Dan says:

Playing ball with the kids last week and running backwards my knee snapped real loud and i was down lol Been to my family doc. getting an MRI next week and im sure this is what I have, cannot straighten my left leg or bare weight on it im in a brace and crutches the thing that sucks is i need to work lol i have 3 little kids and in these tough times I cant think of a worse time for this to happen. I am happy about all the comments ya’ll have left about the positives about the surgery so im going to keep my hopes up…..

June 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm
(81) David says:

Just got the diagnosis today. Going to go over options with the orthopedist in 3 days. Looks like surgery is looming. Just started a job so I don’t have much time accrued. This is what concerns me the most. Wish me luck.

June 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm
(82) Dan says:

Got the results today and im looking at surgery. I have a large bucket handle tear and a severe strain of my MCL but thats no big deal just not happy about the Meniscus tear wish me luck

June 11, 2011 at 1:16 am
(83) Rachel says:

I hurt my knee two yrs ago. Loss range of motion, but didnt go to the Dr. After a couple weeks could walk OK. A month later started playing sports again. Had alittle pain occasionally with high activity. Then while throwing everything went. Severed medial meniscus, tore ACL, non healing sprained MCL. Had almost no range of motion. Was told had torn meniscus prior and if would have gotten it fixed, would have avoided the blow out. Now 8 months out of surgery, doing some activity, but facing a meniscal transplant in the future that will cause me never to run again. It could have all been avoided if I had taken care of the small problem in the first place. And also if playing a field sport, wear cleats. Wearing tennis shoes playing flag football and softball was a contributing factor.

June 19, 2011 at 3:15 am
(84) ali says:

hi, i’m 24 and have been playing football along with other sports actively for the last 14 years, last month while running after 20min of warm up and 70 min of playing in the field for no reason or sudden change of direction my left knee just went from the outer side! for the first couple of hours i couldn’t bare the pain and couldn’t straighten my knee and after the emergency physical tests available at the field they told me it’s just your meniscus and everything else is fine in place, after going to my doctor and mri, it turned out it was an acl tear with meniscal bucket handle tear with lcl injury!now after 3 weaks of cruches i can walk and just wanted to tell you don’t go to surgery right away ask at least 3 doctors u might not need it, my second doc says with certain exercises i’ll be back on track in 4 months and my acl was just injured and is fine now! not everyone has the same knee and body so do a bit more reasearch even after an mri couse as it turns out knee is really complex and hard to figure the exact injury at first, thanks.

June 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm
(85) terry reeung says:

i have one of these tears…. it hurts but its not horrible.

June 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(86) RL says:

Hi, I went through reconstructive ACL surgery for my right knee 8months ago last Sept.. Then while running I jumped over somthing and heard my knee twist. I cudnt straighten it compelety or walk properly. It scared me to death. I thought I tore my ACL again. but after consulting with the doctor and having an MRI. The results showed it was a bucket tear in my right knee. I was scared at first because surgery would be required. But then I realised that the surgery would help me fix the problem, and get me back to moving normally. Like it did for my ACL tear. Im gonna go for surgery next week. I suggest to everyone after the surgery go for theraphy for 6 months making it completely strong again. esp ur quads.. I stopped my theraphy after 2 months thinking evrything was ok.(i was stronger)… but it could lead to other injuries like my case. so focus time on Therapy it will be worth it. Good luck to all. Pray. and think positive always

August 12, 2011 at 8:33 pm
(87) RDOG says:

Yeah just got surgery last week on my bucket handle meniscus tare, although my pain wasn’t bad at all. I was at football camp for a week and it happend on thursday…but i was still able to finish the week.

August 31, 2011 at 9:15 pm
(88) Ken says:

Whoever says its a short recovery is full of it. Its been three months and I still have pain. Not a lot, but its definitely still there. I even still walk up and down stairs weird. DEFINITELY cant run on it. It just makes me very angry.

September 2, 2011 at 1:12 am
(89) Ange says:

The first time my knee locked I was 15. I was sent from school to the hospital and they told me to see a physiotherapist. After about a week I could walk again without any problems. From then it happened about every 3 months, my knee would lock, I would be in excruciating pain and eventually it would heal. I had x-rays and MRI’s and saw doctors, orthopedic surgeons and physio’s but Boone could even diagnose it. This stopped happening when I was 18 and I though it was all over. I’m now 23 and it happened again, my knee locked. I went straight to my doctor and she sent me for an MRI. To my relief it finally showed what was wrong, a buckethandle tear to the lateral meniscus. Three days later (Monday) I saw the surgeon and he told me that it needed surgery and that he would try to repair it. I had surgery on Wednesday and two days later I am glad I had it done. It doesn’t hurt as much as I thought it would but I am really nervous about the really long recovery period. I’m not even allowed to take my brave off till I see him again in 5 days.

October 12, 2011 at 2:40 am
(90) Sean says:

I was on vacation this past summer in Hawaii. Many times as I was getting up out of the water after bodyboarding, I noticed the back of my knee would pop once, and then twice. This happened three times. Then when I got back to my home town, I was practicing basketball, and was going to the hoop extremely hard, and felt a loud POP in the back/side of knee. I thought I could walk it off, but I couldn’t.
My leg could no longer extend. I had a bucket tear, and had scheduled surgery the next week. But JESUS the pain is horrible the first few nights. I was on crutches for 6 weeks, and missed my football season. I am
Getting ready for basketball now. If they repair your meniscus, be prepared for a LONG recovery time.

October 31, 2011 at 4:59 pm
(91) Mary says:

I had medial meniscus repair 9 weeks ago. I tore the meniscus a month before the surgery playing walleyball and was on crutches most of the time before surgery and for 6 weeks after surgery adn 8 weeks in a leg brace with no weight bearing. I have been in PT for 3 weeks but still can’t bend my leg past 75 degrees and straighten past 10 degrees. I am swimming 4 days/wk plus PT 4 days/wk and am diligent in doing the exercises suggested as I was very active before the meniscus repair. I can’t do most exercises because even a stationary bike requires about 90 degrees of bending. It may be the scar tissue preventing me from getting more motion back. The doctor does not want to do manipulation under anathesia to break up the scar tissue for fear of tearing the stiches. With such limited range of motion and extreme stiffnes and soarness, it is impossible to do anything but swim and walk on flat surfaces with a heavy limp. Since it was basically 3 months of being immobile, I think the scar tissue built up the point it is making it impossible to get mobility back. From what I read there is limited time to get your range of motion back and I am getting worried that I will not be able to get it back. Has anyone else had issues with range of motion and how long did it take to get back and what did you do?
Mary

November 18, 2011 at 7:36 am
(92) Dean says:

Hey guys I wrecked my knee last week ehile walking! I’m 23 and very active. I was told to rest for a week and was back in work for the first day back without any pain and sitting at my desk typing it came back, I hadkeyhole surgery and they repaired it yesterday I’m in a full leg brace and in agony, I was senthome less than 2 hours after waking up, I hope it will heal

February 2, 2012 at 2:25 pm
(93) Len says:

I’ve been having periodic knee pain for years, when my knee is slighty flexed if there is the slightest rotaition applied my knee for lack of a better term “locks up”. I haven’t felt pain like that before, it only happens two or three times a year and if I force my leg straight it pops back. It just happened a week ago and this time it wouldn’t go back as usual, after twenty minutes of trying it finally went back, the pop was so loud my wife thought I broke a bone. My Dr. suspects that I have a bucket handle tear and from reading some of the posts it sound like it might be.

February 27, 2012 at 11:21 am
(94) Andrew says:

My experiance with buckt handle tear is that I was playing basketball in a gym on an Airforce base (I am in the Navy though.) I fell down pretty hard after a layup and could not get up or move my leg. The doctors on the base only did X-ray and said nothing was broken and I was good to go. 7 months later after daily pain i finally go to another doctor and try to get an MRI. Turns out i had a torn ACL with a bucket handle tear for 7 months… Worst pain of my life

March 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm
(95) Nate says:

I am 17 years old and i have a medial bucket handle meniscus tear. The doctor fully repaired it. I was just wondering how long the recovery time would be. At first he said it would take 2-3 months to be fully recovered but know he is saying that i need to be on crutches for 4 weeks with PT 3 times a week. Do you know how much time it would take to fully recover? I am a big soccer player and i am really nervous that i would not be able to play during the summer and does any one think i would be able to play even in like a month or so?

March 7, 2012 at 7:57 am
(96) Amin says:

My knee was somehow normal and i had no pain, but sometimes it locked and i knew how to unlock it ! two weeks ago I did arthroscopy and it revealed bucket handle of my medial meniscus is torn and Dr. said definitely you must repair it, otherwise your knee will be destroyed from inside and get arthritis. I’m 24 I did that surgery. That did nothing close to pain but my knee muscles are greatly weak. I am somehow fine !

March 13, 2012 at 8:49 pm
(97) Chad Gray says:

I am a 23 year old male. I hurt my knee at work standing up from a squat position on august 29, definitely knew something was wrong. It was a long process to get an MRI and before i got the results i was done physio therapy, i’m pretty active so i didn’t really baby it. I re-hurt it multiple times. It was always sore off and on but i didnt know for sure what was wrong. I got the results of the MRI Early March and found out i had an extensive and complex bucket handle tear of the lateral meniscus, with a large centrally displaced fragment. Also a small amount of bone marrow edema resulting in contusions. I have experienced way more pain than the average person and i must say this injury is up there. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor on a surgery date but after knowing the results i am definatly going to take it easy on this knee.

March 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(98) GuemaBemyi says:

One more top quality to take into consideration when deciding on the best Holiday pine is it has the sizing. Hess, exactly who throughout 1860 complex a unit that included how to get unlocked iphone
how to unlock iphone 4g 4.1
Thought Easy methods to http://www.webspawner.com/users/howtounlockiphone4g4/index.html

March 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm
(99) Juni says:

I know the pain… I am currently in bed right now with a large bucket handle tear, both anterior and lateral.. how did it happen you ask? i stood up off the floor avoiding my already injured right knee.

April 21, 2012 at 5:26 am
(100) Jill says:

I had a horse riding accident and twisted my knee. I could manage most activities but couldn’t fully bend my knee which cased difficulties walking down stairs and getting out the bath. Three months later I went for an mri scan which reveled a cartilage tear so I was happy to have surgery. Yesterday I was in and out in four hours. A repaired bucket tear to my medial minicus. No pain today, little swelling and fully weight bearing. Brilliant! Can’t weight to get back to normal level of function.

April 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm
(101) Kaylee says:

I was at soccer practice sprinting toward a teammate and I just collapsed in pain. As I fell I heard the same pop pop pop you hear when you crack your knuckles (which is why I don’t crack my knuckles anymore) It felt like both sides of my knee were stabbed by minuscule daggers. I couldn’t stop shaking. I have no idea if it is a bucket tear or not. I still haven’t gone to the doctor yet. My knee locks up and I can’t bend or straighten it or I get the same feeling as when I originally hurt it only less intense. Now it is swollen and has been that way for a couple of weeks. I couldn’t believe how much it hurt, like when I broke my wrist a while back.

May 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm
(102) Darren Hale says:

I am a 38 year old male. I was repairing a floor at work; whilst getting up from a squatting postion I suddenly heard a loud bang within my left knee, the guy I was working with heard it from the other side of the room, the pain was absolutely horrible and made me feel sick at the time. I soon discoverd my knee would not straighten and was completely locked this was a shock as I’d never had any problems with this knee before. Results from MRI scan was a large bucket Handle tear to the meniscus.I had to wait around 4 weeks for the op which was a nightmare hobbling around on crutches with a bend Leg. Finally had the surgery last week, knee is still swollen, and stiff I can put weight on it but I’m still uable to fully straighten my leg out as of yet, I’m really concerned as I thought a week post op it would start going back into place, I’ve been trying to exercise and stretch it out but it’s still around 20 degrades off straight, is this normal?? Just hope the Physio can sort it out as I’m desperate to be able to run around with my kids again.

May 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm
(103) Marco says:

Wowni am lucky. I have this and have not felt any pain when it happened. Unable to straighten my knee for weeks. Was getting fine i was almost able to run and all of suden locked again but with no pain. Only trouble i have is at night. Cnt find a position to sleep.
Surgery soon.
Klm24br@hotmail.com

May 27, 2012 at 10:04 am
(104) Madeleine says:

I am a 15 year old varsity soccer player and i recently bucket locked my meniscus. Last year i tore my right ACL and meniscus. After fully recovering and starting up soccer again, i tore my left ACL and bucket locked the left meniscus. I had the surgery and i am not in the process of rehabilitation. The bucket lock made this second surgery much more painful than the first. My surgery was three weeks ago and I am still in an intense amount of pain.

June 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm
(105) Bret says:

49 year old male with years of heavy wear and tear on my knees: martial arts, distance running, & heavy squats/deadlifts. Was pitching a baseball to my 10 year old last weekend and heard the pop in my left knee as I released the ball. MRI revealed a bucket handle meniscus tear and I am scheduled for surgery within a week. Was scheduled for the October Twin Cities Marathon which I suppose is out of the question.

August 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm
(106) Michelle says:

I have already had 3 surgeries on my knee. I was at the gym Monday- 5 weeks into Cossfit- I was doing great!!! I thought my knee was in the best shape since the last surgery in 2008. I was doing a squat & it snapped/popped & I hit the floor. I was at the doctor within an hour & had an MRI 2 days later- This am I found out I have a bucket handle tear & they have to do surgery ASAP. This has been extremely painful compared to all other injuries. They said if I leave it untreated it will only get worse. Also they can not repair it because the meniscus has also flipped over & it’s stuck in the join.
TO make things better– my wedding is 3 weeks from today.

September 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(107) Sickjits says:

I got mine at a grappling tournament as well. Going through recovery of surgery now!

September 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm
(108) Travis says:

I have a bucket handle tear. Do you think the doctor will let me finish off my season, then get my surgery after?

September 19, 2012 at 12:49 am
(109) P Burke says:

I had surgery 3 wks ago for a large bucket handle tear meniscus. Had a grade 1 sprain of the mcl and a ruptured cyst and had a mcf divot to the femur and wear. Felt fine for couple of days then had to have blood drained from my knee 4 times for total of 160 cc. Swelling finally went down and able to walk without crutches. Was told I needed hyalgan injections to alleviate the pain in my femur when walking.

October 30, 2012 at 11:44 am
(110) Charles says:

I have got a funny story for you about my buket handle tear. it happend sophmore year i was playing firstbase and i reached out to catch the ball and my leg locked up and then i heard a pop and fell screaming. yes i cryed because i wasnt sure if my carer was over. So far i havent got surgery and it is doing better it sometimes hurts.

November 21, 2012 at 11:58 pm
(111) Caitlyn says:

I was found to have a bad bucket handle tear in both of my knees. I am not sure when it initially happened. I had my first repair three weeks ago and will start physical therapy for two months or so.. then I get to do the other knee. The post op pain is nothing compared to the actual injury.

February 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm
(112) Charlie says:

Everyone i have talked to that have had the injections including myself think they are an expensive waste of time. Since i am currently holding at 28 surgeries on my left knee i consider myself as something of an expert. Of what i have no idea. To anyone asking opinions about surgery i say first of all get a second opinion. The Doctors are usually straight up with you, but they do have a vested interest (THEMSELVES) to make sure they do just as many surgeries just as fast as they can. So far as i know i have had everything done to a knee that can be done, and many of those multiple times. In fact if i get one more infection in my knee the leg will have to come off. That is a shame since i have had 1 replacement and 6 revisions. Check your Doctors out and get second opinions. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have if i can, but i warn you now i do not pull any punches

February 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(113) Todd Fennick says:

I injured my knee during a baseball game but didnt really know the extent of it at first. I heard a pop and I couldnt straighten my leg. After jumping around, it released. In the next 8mo. every once in awhile I would stretch my leg with bands and it would lock andnot let go for a couple days. Then recently the same knee got hit by a kid sliding into third base where I was playing. I couldnt walk on it. An MRI revealed a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus.

August 9, 2013 at 8:45 pm
(114) Mike says:

I had a moderate tear in my right meniscus in 2005 at work and had to wait 20 weeks to get the surgery due to BWC bureaucracy. One year later, at work again, I was building a display and was kneeling on my left knee (favoring my still sore right) I put my weight back to stand up and suffered a major bucket handle tear in my left knee. Having learned about BWC procedures I was able to get the wait time down to 13 weeks but was working full time and going to OSU full time while on crutches because my knee would not straiten. Due to the subsequent pounding on my already sans cartilage right knee I developed lower back problems and have not been the same since. My Doctors and physical therapists were great! BWC sucked ass! BTW both rehabs were long and painful because in both cases I had substantially reduced ROM and if you haven’t had the pleasure of having your post-op knees aggressively stretched and bent than you haven’t lived;)

September 27, 2013 at 7:05 am
(115) Angelina says:

hey there…for once since i did my injury, i dont feel alone…i have read many testimonys and feel more positive..
my story began in 2008. i was out for my birthday, enjoying being 44 so i drank a bit..:)
the night was going well until i decided to climb up on the six foot stage to have a go on the drums in the interval of his band playing…A friend walked past so having had a few vodkas and cokes i decided to jump down not taking into account the hieght..
I jump down and landed straight onto my left knee…i have never felt so much pain in my life and i have had three kids, nothing compares to the pain…i felt instantly sick n faint…
the first aid ambulance was called and checked me. i was in shock so i the pain was constant. i tried to get up and walk but fell over,, the pain was hell on earth…
all i wanted was to get home and rest…so i did..
i went to the hospital a couple of days later after being so upset having to shuffle evrywhere unable to walk..
they did an xray and found nothing broken so sent me home…as i got into my sisters car my knee callapsed and i fell backwards…i knew there was some horrible wrong but i went with the hospital advise and took the pain killers…

i was falling out of cars, down stairs as i tried to live a normal life…i had key hole surgery… but it didnt stop the falling over. my dog would push past me and i would be on my back again…

i have a meniscal bucket tear and now the surgoen is talking about an artificial ligament being put in.

to be honest im so scared

thank you to all who share their story cos it has helped me..
i just want to run on the beach with kids n grand kids…i am 47 and i want to live again…

God bless all of us who have come through and are going through this painful and traumatic time…

Angelina Mcgonigle..sorry i went on but ive never talked about and i defo didnt want to end up in a wheel chair. x

October 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(116) Antonio says:

Hi Angelina
, it sounds as though you completely ruptured your acl ligament .Which would explain the “hell on earth pain” you felt at the time .The reason why you keep falling over is due to the fact that your knee is unstable , due to the fact of the ruptured acl (most likely scenario judging by what you have mentioned) .I have had the L.A.R.S which is the term used for the artificial ligament , seeing as i have had both the hamstring graft in one knee and the lars in the other , recovery is rapid with the lars i was back into sport 10 weeks post op’ though with the standard procedure it took 6 months .Hope this helps .

October 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm
(117) Dean mc dermott says:

I have a bucket handle tear on my left knee of the medial meniscus… With a large meniscal fragment lyin within the intercondyler notch there is para meniscal cyst dorsal to the posterior horn…. The medial collateral ligament is scarred there is also proximal scaring of the fibulae collateral ligament…there is residual bone oedema within the medial tibial plateau… Soon basically dat is al new to me haven got a clue wat al means an have t wait up to over a year for treatment.. Any suggestments plz

January 29, 2014 at 10:36 pm
(118) John says:

Twenty-two years ago at age 41, I was playing softball and catching when I heard the pop. I am an extremely pain tolerant person, and that is not necessarily a good thing. A couple of years later, I could stand it no longer, and an MRI revealed that I had some serious problems…no options other than surgery. I talked the surgeon into doing a spinal block so I could watch the operation on a monitor. He had done that once before. I had large sections of meniscus waving like flags in the fluid the doctor injected into my knew, and I also had two marble-like balls of meniscus inside the joint. They were both the same size, a little larger than the Pac-man type meniscus muncher the surgeon was using to clean up the mess. Pac-man ate the meniscus flags and smoothed the surface of what meniscus remained, but the doctor had a heck of a time munching up those two meniscus marbles. Evidently, they were very hard. He was a very experienced doctor, and, although he did not say he had never seen such meniscus marbles before, I gather that they are very rare. He said he could not believe I had been able to walk at all. It is time once more to consider some kind of surgery. I told my current doctor about my meniscus marbles, and he didn’t believe me. It is true, though. I saw it with my own eyes…

April 1, 2014 at 9:13 am
(119) Tania says:

I have just had an arthroscopy for a bucket tear. Prior to the surgery I was in immense pain and could barely walk.
The relief after surgery was unbelievable! I could move my knee, could apply pressure and walk.
It has now been almost 2 weeks and I am a little tender but I feel I am progressing well. I am contiuing prescribed excercises by my surgeon which I feel have helped with recovery.

April 4, 2014 at 9:53 am
(120) Jim says:

I’m 53 and last June I tore my meniscus (bucket handle tear). I normally heal very well and figured I would treat it conservatively first. Between PT, acupuncture, chiropractic, any relief was temporary. I had my knee scoped on 31 March 2014. It has now been 5 days and it feels very well. I walk with a cane and full range of motion has almost come back. If it isn’t healing, get it scoped. It’ll feel nearly instantly better and in a few short days, you will wonder why you waited.

April 8, 2014 at 9:54 am
(121) kenny says:

So I jumped in the air playing ultimate freesbee an when I landed I felt my femur shift forward I heard alot of loud snapping an popping I collapsed in terrible pain. I got over it quickly though like within minutes. The problem came when I went to the naval hospital an the doc told me that im fine an ill be ok. Well it took 7 months an two more dislocations before I went to a civilian doctor who immediatly informed me that my acl was torn an I had a bucket handle tear