1. Health
Treatment of arthritis has focused on surgery for severely arthritic joints. The non-operative treatments have been less extensively investigated, and there has only been limited success with these treatments.

One possible method for treating arthritis of the knee without performing surgery has been with an injectable medication called Synvisc (the generic name is Hylan, and sold under the trade name "Synvisc"). Hyaluronan, the name of the substance in Synvisc, is made by cells in the cartilage of joints. By injecting this into arthritic joints, the hope is to help with cartilage health.

Comments
May 2, 2006 at 12:52 pm
(1) Melinda Broadwater says:

Dear Sirs,I need new knees my ortro Dr Rodney Beals cant even get my age right .I am not getting proper medical care Im 46 yrs old and i can hardly walk Ive had many surgeries on my knees The Docters say I have osteoarthtis now they say I have fibermyalgia.I think its because I have state medical insurance that I cant get proper care.My life quality is nothing like it used to be .Please help Desprate in Portland Melinda Broadwater 503-235-5430

May 2, 2006 at 2:12 pm
(2) Ann Koral says:

I had synvisc treatments in Spring, 2005. They were very successful. I have, since that time, no return of pain in my left knee. I have had surgery and also have osteoarthritis in that knee. I highly recommend this treatment.

May 2, 2006 at 10:15 pm
(3) newman riley says:

when will this treatment be available for ostioartheritic shoulder treatment? i am willing to try. aspecially after having my shoulder scoped and now going thru physical therapy. i would love to have a possible healing process to occur and to possibly be able to let nature do the work more so than “western medicine” so to speak. thank you

May 3, 2006 at 1:12 am
(4) SRINIVAS says:

For arithiritis YOGASANAS( EXERCISE POSTURES PRESCRIBED BY YOGIC SCIENCE, MOSTLY POPULAR IN INDIA) and PRANAYAMA (YOGIC BREATHING EXERCISES) have been found to be very useful. Those who are interested may like to watch the popular Indian Television Channel ‘AASTHA’ (Meaning ‘FAITH)for further details of various benefits. This channel is available in US and in some countries of Europe as well. Do watch the programmes of ‘SWAMI RAMDEV’ a YOGA expert.

May 3, 2006 at 1:38 am
(5) Jane says:

After having my third knee surgery, I finally had Synvisc treatment series, almost two years ago. Except for an occasional twinge (perhaps from overuse?) I was delighted with the effectiveness. I have, since then, needed a second treatment. My doctor recommended another hyalgan product. It took a bit longer to activate, but I’ve found relief for another round. It sure beats a titanium replacement to me!

August 9, 2007 at 12:28 pm
(6) Sue Pastin says:

Synovial fluid replacement treatments worked wonderfully in 2005 and 2006. But this year, I had 5 shots — and it’s as if I received a placebo! I might as well never have had them. The irony was, I was fine, but had the shots to be sure I would not break down during a family vacation. I broke down and was on a cane the whole time, and now that I’m back, it’s getting painful to walk. Anyone else have a similar experience of Synvic or similar working in the past, then not working at all?

August 10, 2008 at 4:14 pm
(7) melanie gleason says:

For the comment regarding Dr. Rodney Beals in Portland,OR she must be having a bad time- I am so sorry but I MUST clear up her comments regarding Dr. Beals- He saved my leg and oh so many others that I know of-This man has dedicated his life to helping people with many difficult ortho cases from someone like me with osteomylitis for the past 12 years to children and adults with growth problems and cancer patients- This man is the most humble and humane person let alone surgeon I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and having as my Doctor-THERE IS NO FINER!!! Thank you for the forum to tell the world about him.

December 18, 2008 at 4:09 pm
(8) Donald says:

My wife had synvisc injections in March, and within 2 weeks of the final injection, she was almost pain free. She has severe oa in her right knee.

The results lasted roughly 9 months.
2 weeks ago she started the second round of injections, but they were extremely painful this time, and left her unable to walk for several days after each shot.
We went to her orthopedist today, and he reccommended not having the third injection today.
My question is if she didn’t get the third injection today, will it be effective if she gets it when she has her return visit in 6 weeks or have we wasted the two injections done so far?

December 22, 2008 at 10:15 am
(9) Orthopedics Guide says:

Donald,

The manufacturer recommends three shots spaced one week apart each for the maximal benefits. I know of no studies that have looked into spacing these apart longer. They have looked at the number of shots, and three has been shown to provide the maximal benefit.

Regards,

Jonathan Cluett, MD
About.com Orthopedics

February 9, 2009 at 3:29 pm
(10) Parrish says:

I had synvisc treatment in 2005 and was pain free with great results. I had another synvisc treatment done over the holidays 2008. The first two were fine. A week after the third one I experience extreme swelling and limited mobility. I went in and had to have in drained a week later. Since the third injection I have had an increased level of pain and swelling around the injection site. Now I walk with the assistance of a cane or crutches. My Dr. responds indirectly with a blank look. Should I be concerned that there is something wrong as a result of my last injection? Or is this expected as a possibile side effect?
Parrish

April 26, 2009 at 5:49 am
(11) Fran says:

I have OA in my right knee and am unable to take NSAIDS as I have only one kidney and they elevae my BUN and Creat. Tylenol does absolutely nothing to relieve the severe and debilitating pain. I am considering Synvisc in order to delay a TKR. Will I be unable to walk for any length of time post-injections?

November 27, 2010 at 11:15 am
(12) Seema says:

Good day! . Happy Thanksgiving!. !! :)
Thanksgiving is 1 of my favorite holidays, and each year I like to get into the mood-extend the holiday, as it were-by reading “Thanksgiving novels.” And in addition, all these stories are mostly about family and friends, about coming together to heal old hurts and showing thanks for the gift of love. .. ::
You’re Better Off Today Than You Were 10 Years Ago?