1. Health
Need shoulder exercise suggestions? This guide from the University of Washington Department of Orthopaedic Surgery offers the most complete information about how to rehabilitate a weak shoulder. Included are excellent demonstrations of proper technique for performing these shoulder exercises--this is one of the Internet's best resources for patients with shoulder problems!
Comments
May 2, 2006 at 10:48 pm
(1) newman riley says:

ok, anyone who does not take an active interest in helping themselves become more self reliant needs to know what it is like to be bedriden for a week at the age of 40 after blowing out 3 discs. had it not been for MY determination to heal, seek rehabilitation and put in 150% work towards walking and return to weight lifting i would be a flabby middle aged man who would be afraid to pick up his 2 1/2 yr.old grandson.
my suggestion to anyone who has a problem, know matter what it is, fight it till the end! more likely than not, you will succede to a higher degree than to rely on just pain meds. and wishful thinking.

July 22, 2008 at 1:40 pm
(2) Chris says:

Absolutely correct. I have the smae experience with back and shoulder injuries. Do your own research, find exercises and stretches that will help you, and then do them [b]RELIGIOUSLY[/b]!

Just don’t give up, or expect the doctor to have the answer.

April 24, 2009 at 11:46 am
(3) bad shoulder man says:

you have a 2 1/2 year old grand child at age 41?

impressive

December 27, 2009 at 10:38 pm
(4) George says:

I was thinking the same thing. Granchild @ 41

March 28, 2010 at 11:56 am
(5) guy says:

I liked the guts the 41 year old is showing . I had a similar condition when I was 41 . Construction pointed me to lower back problems but waiting till my 30′s to have my two boys saved me from early grandparenthood. Excercise and losing my belly allways fixed my lower back problems. I have a new injury to my neck , shoulder, and arm . A motorcycle accident evulsed a nerve from my spine and I had a number of nerves transfered by The only person in the country that could do it , Dr. Wolf at the hospital of special surgery in Manhatten. 12 months ago and its really starting to move which is pretty close to a miricle if you have ever had any kind of nerve damage.I am looking for a exercise tool they have at PT that houses three marbles in a circular tube that you spin and has proven very effective and I would like one in my home to speed things up.HOGGAN made it but it is discontinued please advise and excuse the spelling

July 14, 2010 at 3:22 am
(6) Doug W says:

Being an individual who 10 years ago had the most severe surgery performed by doctors today, a Spinal Fusion consisting of the replacement of 10 vertebrae and the fusion of two 16″ rods into my spine, along with being a certified personal trainer, I can say that Newman Riley is somewhat correct. A person needs to take a informed interest in their recovery and put forth 150% towards their rehabilitation. At the same time one needs to realize activities that aggravate their previous injuries and steer clear. After being bedridden for just under a year and taking the next year to learn how to walk again, I am very aware of activities that can aggravate back injuries (i.e. deadlifts, heavy weighted squats, back extensions with added weight, etc) and steer clear.

January 17, 2011 at 12:39 am
(7) mary says:

I had major scoliosis surgery at UW Medical Center at age 42… I had a huge S curve and they took T-11 through L-4 apart, fused them, put in two titanium rods… huge scar, 8 hour surgery, 8 days in hospital. But the reason I could do it at that age was I always stayed fanatically athletic, never got hooked on pain meds except asprin, worked out, lifted weights, got into the Navy Reserve even! (they didn’t notice that huge curve…). Now I have no pain, I can’t go back to running it feels wrong, like I am wearing a corset but I am strong and mostly pain free and look like 10 years younger than my age – I feel so proud of my effort and discipline when it comes to this. And so lucky they took on my case instead of just writing me off as “too old.”

November 7, 2011 at 11:56 am
(8) Rehab101 says:

Here is the thing, if you hurt your shoulder, strain, tear, labrum etc etc… Follow your physician’s directions! Most likely you will get a prescription for PT. GO DO YOUR PT!

That is the hardest part. PT before surgery seems pointless, but it really isn’t. Gaining full ROM and strengthening the surrounding muscles helps get the strength and Range Of Motion back post-surgery faster!

You can’t expect the doctors and PTs to take care of your life. You have to take some control of it yourself. If you can’t do that, then good luck functioning in society…

February 18, 2014 at 3:40 pm
(9) Mark says:

I had three cervical discs (C4, C5, and C6 with titanium plate and fusion of C5 and C6) replaced 5 months ago. A six hour surgery and got out of the hospital the following day. I could not take any pain meds because of getting nauseous…amazingly it was OK. Tylenol was my drug of choice. As for spastic drugs, I could not take those either…they shut down my ability to urinate. I had to grunt it out!

I always asked what the expectations would be and they never answered me.

My left arm was in bad shape and it took three months for me to get it above my head. I have always been in excellent shape and I have worked very hard to get to the point it is now. Let me say this…one must dig deep to get it back and if you are not happy exercising it will be a problem.

Self motivation is everything and one must know that it is little steps that count. Good Luck….