1. Health
Turf toe is a condition that can sideline the most well-trained football players, and other athletes. So what is this condition and how is it treated?

Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. Turf toe is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but patients may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling.

Related: Toe Conditions | Inserts for Foot Pain

Comments
May 13, 2008 at 7:13 pm
(1) BOBBY JAMES says:

How do you treat turf toe!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 19, 2008 at 9:29 am
(2) orthopedics says:

You can read about the treatment of turf toe on the following page:
Turf Toe Treatment

Regards,

Jonathan Cluett, M.D.
Guide to Orthopedics

July 28, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(3) Shane says:

Thank you this was a big help!

November 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm
(4) $LOGANEVAGUES$ says:

((((((Thanks that was a big help)))))))

March 6, 2010 at 6:20 pm
(5) Bubba says:

Wow turf two is scary! What can I do to prevent it from happening?

March 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm
(6) Dustin McClure says:

What about water training? can you water train with turf toe? I’m in track and i can afford to stop working out because i have college to worry about next year.

April 1, 2010 at 2:27 am
(7) Harlan says:

A shoe with a STIFF sole for around the house (to help splint the toe joint) and an innersole with a lot of arch support in your playing boot to take some of the weight/forces off the toe joint should help a lot. It has been helping me at least. (Physiotherapist)

April 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm
(8) jim bob says:

turf toe/drywall toe recipe- gather 12 sheets of 1/2 x 4 x 8 sheet rock and 11 sheets of 1/2 x 4 x8 OSB and misc. plywood. allow it all to tip over from vertical and trap you under them with your one foot with the turf toe position. let rest for 15 minutes until your wife can use the auto jack to extricate you. serve with ice, pain meds., and x-rays

May 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(9) kathleen says:

this is my nickname cuz i got it in softball!

May 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm
(10) instone says:

turf toe has been one of the biggest inconveniences in terms of injuries i have ever dealt with.. much worse than broken bones and such that can be set and repaired.. Going on 6 months for me and it’s still keeping me from surfing and cycling…

May 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm
(11) bbmike says:

Im an avid weight trainer and I aquired turf toe last night while doing some late night running (should have been done on?a treadmill) now I see how Ladanian Tomlinson felt in”09 im in severe pain now and can feel that it is gonna be a long time healing .
should I see a podiatrist or ”walk it off” over a long time and rehab myself?

June 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(12) kyle depaoli says:

I hurt my toe wrestling maybe 4 months ago, I took a break from wrestling/mma/kickboxing. because I also have a pinched nerve in my c-??? who knows.. i have a chiro for that lol. Anyway, I had to pull out of a fight bcause of that in conjunction with my toe. How do i train with it?

November 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm
(13) Saver says:

Turf toe needs a new name. It doesn’t really sound like much of an injury, but causes lots of people chronic pain.

November 8, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(14) Joshua says:

Two years ago I was in a motorcycle crash, my big toe on my right foot jammed into the pavement hard enough that the tip of it twisted upside down, from just behind the nail, at the “knuckle”. Basically, my toe nail was on the bottom.. To this day I still can’t curl the toe, but it will bend at the ball of my foot. Would this injury be considered turf toe? And yes, it still hurts sometimes..

December 6, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(15) George Dresbach says:

Turf toe is caused by a sudden upward extension of the great toe and foot. It is particularly common among Indianapolis Colts fans that would like their players and coaches to start doing their jobs and start playing football with a little vigor. Turf toe was absent in the Dungy era, but is becoming more prevelant now in 2010.

July 27, 2011 at 1:58 am
(16) josateki says:

I got turf toe in the weekend during a rugby game. How long should I rest it?

October 30, 2011 at 4:17 am
(17) The Toe Truck says:

It’s a pretty easy fix, actually, depending on how creative you are. I like to jack up a car, front preferred. Remove the tire, set aside. Now lower the vehicle down slowly, watching to see which part touches the ground first. Now mark this with a sharpie or a piece of tape. I forgot to mention you need a jack that can be lowered quickly. Raise the car back up, remove your shoe and sock on the affected toe. Place the base of the toe on the mark you made while the jack was down. Now, get a beverage of your choice and some clean towels. Open drink, place toe on the mark, and drop the jack/vehicle as quickly as possible. This should result in a crushing injury at least, but hopefully you will get a nice clean amputation. Amputation may seem a bit extreme, but you have just cured that nagging turf toe injury that never really goes away. The amputation will heal within 6 weeks or so, unless your diabetic or something, In which case you may want to rethink this approach. Use the clean towels to apply pressure to the now missing toe area. Keep the foot elevated to help keep blood flow down. You made need to seek medical care if the bleeding won’t stop, or if you even thought of doing this at all. (it’s a joke, dumbass, but it will cure your turf toe).

November 2, 2011 at 9:56 am
(18) Patty says:

Turf Toe is ACTUALLY when you can be benched after you make millions of dollars and suck at the sport you are playing. You can catch turf toe by having/doing/being the following things;

1)having millions of dollars
2)ONLY being a football player (anyone else who runs or does any type of sport activity never seems to get this terrible injury)
3)pout and complain like a little girl

I hope this clears it up. Remember, if you dont make millions of dollars sucking at football, you will NEVER get turf toe.

August 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm
(19) JohnHarlin says:

I think a lot of this has to do with bad shoes. Shoe companies just don’t get it at all. The forefoot needs support. Do you shoe companies hear me? THE FOREFOOT NEEDS LATERAL SUPPORT. Most shoe companies have little lateral support in the forefoot area. The eyelet with laces do not go up far enough. Therefore, the forefoot ends up sloshing around and the toe gets jammed. I have only seen one brand that has laces up to the front and that is Converse. Other than their better lace system this old style shoe is really bad because it weighs a ton — like over a pound per shoe. We want shoes for sports not weight training. However, Converse has come up with a new neoprene model that is really light and might end up being an excellent athletic shoe. I haven’t tried them yet but this shoe could help for turf toe and might help prevent it.

For temporary relief try lots of padding in the forefoot area. Anything to help cushion the area. Experiment and move the padding around to different spots until you get it in a position where it has the most relief. Walgreens sells lots of padding for the forefoot but you could just use whatever you might have lying around.

Good luck to everyone and lets lean on those shoe companies that charge over $100 for shoes and can’t even make a decent shoe.

November 8, 2012 at 10:31 am
(20) dashjones1423 says:

Deion Sanders had turf toe thats why he retired earlyer then he wanted

July 30, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(21) Mom says:

You people should realize that turf toe is very painful. My 11 year old daughter has it after jamming her toe playing and then went on to continue to practice softball and then played a full season of ball. Turf toe is not a joke.