1. Health
Knee replacement surgery is an effective treatment for severe knee arthritis. During the procedure, an artificial knee made of metal and plastic is inserted into the knee joint.

There are many orthopedic manufacturing companies that produce different implants used in knee replacement surgery. Most of these companies make several different knee replacement prostheses. Is there a way to determine which knee replacement implant is best?

Related: How to know when you're ready for knee replacement? | Motion Machines After Knee Replacement

Image © Medical Multimedia Group

Comments
May 21, 2008 at 4:52 pm
(1) Brittany says:

There are many options for knee replacements. I am affiliated with Conformis and they specialize in custom made knee implants. If you are considering knee replacement you may want to check them out.

February 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm
(2) Jon says:

Brittany, your company has been promising the new itotal for over a year and have failed to meet your own companies deadline. I would have serious reservations about anything from conformis

February 17, 2010 at 12:51 am
(3) John says:

On the otherhand, who wants an implant rushed to market? The delay could just as easily be an indicator of a commitment to quality or a redevelopment to include newly discovers technology. The delay is not really a reliable evidence of quality one way or the other. I’m sure a Chinese asembly line implant could get to market on time.

July 10, 2010 at 9:30 am
(4) Paul says:

The cost of total knee replacement varies depending on age, type of surgery, brand of replacement, and other factors. In the United States, an uninsured patient can expect to pay upwards of $45,000.

In most other places in the world, the cost is far lower. Patients can take advantage of globalization and receive total knee replacement surgery for a low price in a number of destinations.

The following is a chart of the estimated cost of knee replacement around the world:
——————————————————————————–

Country Estimated Price (USD)
United States $45,000-$60,000
Singapore $18,000-$22,000
Thailand $12,000-$14,000
Taiwan $9,000-$10,000
India $7,000-$11,000

Do not calculate cost when you go for a major surgery.

People often select a good doctor, good implant & good medicines. Dont go on Hospital room & luxury looks as it does not change your outcome.

We are in Medical Tourism & we call our patients India for effective treatment at very reasonable costs.

Just 5000 to 6000 USD including World Class Implant on 1 side Knee Replacement.
Plus your air fare & if you want to travel across some cool locations that is patch up.

It can vary from 2000 USD for travels extra.

For Knee cases I think best guy is Doctor Bhavsar. He treats all kind of people, right from ordinary uninsured senior citizens to the higher class patients.

He is using standard International brand implants & uses also according to patients’ choice also. He is comfortable with all good company implants.

He has started doing some latest work like small incision Knee surgeries etc. He practices in Mumbai. Right now he is in Wockhardt Hospital.

My far relative grand ma & many from our family are his patients. They all tell they were in good hands. You should see him if you ever face Knee problem. We have been in medical tourism and we are happy with his work.

October 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm
(5) Jill says:

30 year knee claim…Enough Said…its the best knee on the market every company is playing catch up to smith and nephew from a technology stand point…look up oxinium

March 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm
(6) Rhael Coultard says:

Hi Jonathan, actually there are a lot of options that you can choose from in terms of knee replacement surgery. However, I just want to share you some facts about knee surgeries… there has been knee replacement recall ordered by the FDA itself because of its high rate of failures. So be sure to get the right device then.

April 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(7) Eugene Bullacher says:

May 2010 two years ago. I had a partial knee implant the Conformis I uni it was glued in place. I went to four different Doctors telling me I should have a total knee replacement, pushing their product of choice,one doctor told me I’ll let you know what you got when you get out of sergery.I studied my own X rays, and did not agree with any of them. I found an Orthopedic Specalist in Houston that did agree with me about having a partial implant, he suggested I check it out on the Internet. I have total range of motion and flexibility. I some time forget that I had my knee operated on. In two weeks I was good to go anywhere.