1. Health
Jonathan Cluett, M.D.

Increased Pain After Cortisone Shot

By October 17, 2010

Cortisone injections are among the most frequently used treatments in orthopedics. Cortisone can be used for a wide range of conditions from knee arthritis, to shoulder bursitis, to tennis elbow. Many patients will tell you about the success they have had with cortisone injections, but what if your pain increases?

There is a common side-effect of cortisone shots called a cortisone flare. A cortisone flare can cause an increase in symptoms in the first 24-48 hours after a cortisone injection. The good news is that there are treatments for a cortisone flare, and the symptoms usually subside within a few days.

Related: Side-Effects of Cortisone Shots | How many cortisone injections can you have?

Image Maksim Tselishchev (www.iStockPhoto.com)

Comments
August 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm
(1) Person in need says:

Please help: I received an occipital nerve injection six days ago and have been in varying stages of pain throughout my body since. The pain started in my neck, shoulders and upper back and was quite intense. It was especially painful when I moved around or tried to bend over or get up from sitting to standing. I now have intermittent periods of intense throbbing and pain throughout my back, head and hips when I try to lay down or stand up from one position or another.

My doctor says this is an unusual and “extreme” reaction. What should I do??? Please help!

September 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm
(2) in pain too says:

I have same thing my shots were a week ago and now pain is worse

October 21, 2010 at 10:16 pm
(3) Lori says:

I got a cortizone shot in my hip a week ago. The cortizone has NOT relieved any pain in my hip. I am 36 years old and my orthopedic doctor say’s that my hip is a 65 year old hip. I need a hip replacement but he wante dme to get the shot first. I feel like the shot has given me more intense pain all the time now.I am taking vicodin for pain and i is not helping. Some people have told me that my doctor is going to recommend another shot. That is not an option with me. I want my hp replaced ASAP!

December 18, 2010 at 8:58 am
(4) Kim says:

Lori,
What did you do about your hip? I am 39….I have RA and had major hip surgery a few months ago. I didn’t have a replacement – I had the “pinning”. Do you have arthritis??

December 12, 2011 at 2:22 am
(5) Coralee Archuletta says:

Maybe one of the roles for the agent is to be the promoter of the author who does not want to spend a lot of time building a presence on the Web and doing all the online marketing. I would gladly give 10 percent of my earnings to an agent who would help me boost sales.

December 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm
(6) Rebecca graham says:

I ha a steroid injection yesterday in my shoulder which is omg the most painful thing I have ever experienced aside from child birth! I cried and the paid was so bad I almost passed out (have never actually passed out but it felt like it) I almost fell of the table the doc had I grab me. Lay night the pain in my shoulder got worse and worse…last night it became so bad it was hard to whips after using the bathroom. Today it’s is even worse…my daughter had to help meet dressed my son put my pony tail holder in. I cannot move my arm up said or to the back….I have to have it to my side then Bent up an under my boob hand looking funny cause twisted weird for it to be somewhat comfortable. No amount of these pain pills and muscle relaxers help the pain. Only Knock me out…loritabs, soma, and whatever strong crap my hubby has….(yes called doc and waiting for a response) and I have had back steroid injections) this shoulder one (omg!!!)

March 3, 2012 at 4:10 am
(7) Purple says:

Had my shot 4 days ago and my pain is worse. My shoulder is stiff and it keeps popping/cracking. When I take in a deep breath it cause really bad pain. What should I do? Anyone else have this problem?

May 31, 2012 at 12:20 pm
(8) Mark says:

I had a shoulder cortisone (depomedrol) shot as OMG, before it was hurting a lot (7 out of 10), but only in some positions, after the shop for 30 minutes I felt completely cured, but after that pain increase from 7 to maybe a 20, is just like described you feel that you will pass out, hard to do anything, even walking is hard as any movement waves pain in my shoulder. For what is worth, this is my second shot, my first hurt a lot of for 48 hours, and it last for 4-5 months, that’s why I took the second, so hopefully it will work out. I have tendinitis, bursitis, and mild arthritis on my shoulder. Previous had an issue on my right knee, and the shot cured for good (knock on wood). Still hopeful as of right now, even typing is hard as my own arm gets numb from the freaking pain…

July 4, 2012 at 4:03 am
(9) Josey says:

Hi I had that shot today in my elbow it is so painful that I can’t sleep my neck,shoulder , elbow, and wrist hurts so bad that I can not sleep the doctor should of said there are side affects I would of took inflammatory or ice. The pain hurt So bad that I feel sick to my stomach . It was alot better not taking the shot

July 8, 2012 at 4:14 pm
(10) dolores says:

CORTCOSTEROID SHOTS CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE CARTILAGE AROUND THE JOINTS AND CAN ALSO AFFECT THE TENDONS AND NERVES…DO NOT LET ANY DR SHOOT YOU WITH THIS POISON IT IS NOT GOOD I HAD AN INJECTION 2 YRS AGO IN MY WRIST AND IT STILL HURTS MORE AND MORE EACH DAY MY HAND IS NEVER GOING TO BE THE SAME

July 9, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(11) sadknee says:

Yes, I agree with the previous comment. I think I will forever regret the cortisone injection I got into the bursa underneath by IT band. I’ve had IT band friction syndrome for 3 years.. this past year I had 2 injections directly into my IT band and the the improvements were so drastic that the doc decided to inject the bursa underneath the IT band as well. The pain since has been so bad.. I used to not be able to run, now I can’t run, walk down hill or down stairs without pain. I am so sad that I decided to do this last injection and don’t know if my knee will ever be the same… I’m not even 30 yet and now hiking, running are totally out of the picture for me.

July 12, 2012 at 11:57 am
(12) Anis says:

I got my shot in my back 3 days ago and the pain is unbearable. I have pain all over my body especially in my lower back and my legs. It is so painful that even walking seems very difficult. My doctor said that it will provide pain relief in the long run but I am doubting that now. If anyone reading this knows its effects in the long run through personal experience, please do tell!

July 13, 2012 at 10:00 am
(13) june says:

I have had constant pain in right and left shoulders for almost 6 months now, right is worse. Mri n xrays came back clear, 2 cortisones into right bursa and 1 into joint. Physio was too painful and last week i went to emergency due to pain intensely increasing. 5 oppinions later noone knows what is wrong and Now awaiting a subacromial decompression n arthroscopy to diagnose the problem. Can anyone help? I litterally have not been able to sleep or use my arms due to the pain.

July 28, 2012 at 7:35 am
(14) maz says:

june, i have suffered for 10 yrs and it does sadly get worse. Sometimes my boy has to help me get my tops off or on as cant move arms. Constant pain especially when lay down but found if lay on side put pillow next to you,fold so level with arm and rest arm over it, it takes the pressure off your shoulder and in the day a sling helps as well. The just hanging of the arm is weight for the shoulder so need to take weight off it.

August 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(15) robin says:

I was in a car accident in 96. now after 2 failed back surgeries I’m in constant pain. the last operation the dr? took a bone from my hip for a bone graph. the pain in my hip is indescribable. even though i take percocet and time released morphine i live in constant pain. over the years i have received cortisone shots in my hip with some relief. now 3 weeks ago i had another. i did not experience any pain for the first week now my hip feels like it will explode. it feels like i’m walking around with a 10 inch knife stabbing me. this 1 – 10 pain rating is a bunch of crap. there is not a number that can describe the agony i’m in. i don’t even get relief when i sleep. i’m woken up every 2 hours crying. i’m literally crying in my sleep. i know the dr. will give me some stupid excuse and not take responsibility. when they ask me to rate my pain i want to tell them to put there balls in my hand and i will show them. i’m so tired of living like this. constant pain is exhausting. now the only time i leave my house is to go to the dr. so i can get my scripts for more pain meds. i’m not sure why i’m writing this. just need to vent i don’t complain to my family much. i get sick of hearing me say “I’m in pain” so i know my family must be over whelmed having to listen. i just pray i will eventually go back to my normal horrible pain and the new horrible pain will go away. thanks for listening

August 14, 2012 at 11:21 am
(16) monadb1 says:

anis, i had the same problem and the dr. seems to think the injection did not cause it. it has been a month and 1/2 had another injection a week ago and my legs are in excruciating pain and i cannot walk, lay, sit or move hardly at all. i don’t see any long term relief coming if i were you i would not have any more injections. i am now have to see a neurologist to find the cause of the pain. Possibly a nerve was hit with the needle, don’t know. i now also have severe pain around the injection site. i have screamed out, cried, yelled when pain hit in my legs when i walked. i live on my couch and have been to er several times to get a shot for pain and to pain management to get stronger meds for pain. watch out and stay away from those shots until you see what the problem is. mona brown

August 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(17) Laurie says:

I just had a cortisone shot in my right knee now my right arm is hurting and feels weak. Is this normal. Has anyone had this experience.

August 31, 2012 at 4:01 am
(18) Sophie says:

I had the cortisone injection in to my lumbar (L5) 3 days ago due to lower back ache on the left hand side & because my left leg would go numb after any physical activities such as horse riding or skiing. Also found out the L5 is fused to the sacrum on this side.
I am in more pain and my inner thigh keeps getting niggly pains through it and after feeling the right thigh the left one is much harder.
Sitting now causes more pain also. I know I am only at day 3, but I would like to know how long this more intensive pain is going to last for? Doctor who gave me the injection said wait 10 days to figure out whether it will give any pain relief at all, specialist who referred me said to wait 3-4 weeks!
Has anyone else had the injection in this area?

September 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm
(19) trish says:

I so feel for u all. I had my first shot 7 hours ago in my left arm. Im in a lot of terrible pain that is only seeming to intensify. The specialist who did my injection said there would be no side effects and i should be pain free before i left the office, which i was not. It eased some about 20 minutes later for about mybe a half hour…..then the pain kicked in. It has spread up my neck, down my back and throughout my entire arm….i called the office and was told to ice it for 10 min every hour till morning and i should be better…but even the ice isnt helping. Im pretty scared right now.

September 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm
(20) Rebecca Armstrong says:

I had my hip injected a week ago. After the Lidocaine wore off, I’ve been in bed for 6 days. I can’t walk, turn, or sit without excruciating pain. I went to the supposed best Ortho Surgeon at a local medical university. When I called to report the problem, I received a cavalier message. “It may take up to 4 weeks for you to notice any relief. Take over-the-counter pain meds and be patient.” !!! Has anyone ever heard of these injections working after four weeks? I feel trapped because the pain management doc is this surgeon’s subordinate. I would appreciate any feedback.

September 13, 2012 at 11:38 am
(21) Anna says:

I recently got my 2nd cortisone shot in my left shoulder. I had to switch DR’s and my new dr. felt the first one wasn’t in the right place. OMG I cried when I got the shot; it was so painful… Nothing like the first one. The first shot I got didn’t help, I felt it made my pain worse. I tried to tell my new Dr. this, but he insisted that this new spot would cure my pain. I am in terrible pain now. I cannot lift my arm at all. I had to have my daughter help me put my hair up. I couldn’t sleep last night. I was up every 2 hours because I would move and the pain would wake me up. I regret getting this 2nd shot. I guess I’ll give it a week to see if it helps, but I’m doubtful just because of the first shot.

September 25, 2012 at 4:31 am
(22) Jane says:

I had a second cortisone injection a few days ago, and am now in such severe pain all I seem to do is feel sick/faint and cry! Very pathetic but true. I cried at the injection but was assured I would feel better almost instantly, unfortunately this is SOOO not the case. I feel very vulnerable and quite helpless. I called the specialists office to ask if this was usual and the secretary said “sorry nothing we can do, go to A & E if you are that concerned, you have to wait for your three month appointment before we will see you again” I cant put my hair up, put deodorant on, put my own bra on, and have to rely on my children or hubby to help. I am unable to work and exhausted as the pain prevents sleep, and on waking the pain is so extreme I can hardly breathe. I have been told I will have to have another before surgery, but this will be refused and I will insist on surgery. I am only 40 and feel like an old lady, and this is making me very very low. I wish you all luck! :-)

October 3, 2012 at 4:21 am
(23) Ina says:

Hi! I am a 33 year old woman. My second arthroscopy but diffrent from the first this time it was a bilateral knee arthroscopy. It was and is very painful. It is three weeks since the operation. Monday was the first physio appointment did not feel after and could not sleep the same night. 2 October I had phone my Surgeon and he sead I must come in. The inflammation and pain wat very bad and while expaining because of the pain I started crying. Then explain to me that he are going to inject a local anastetic and cortisone in the knee to help for the pain and swelling and it will make the knee joint feel dead inside. With the first one I was very brave and swallow the tears but with the second one I start crying and the almost cried with me and just said he is so sorry! But after a few minutes the knee was knumb and the pain started to lay off just feels like jelly. Feelling okay this morning but can feel the injection did work but the pain start to come back again. Not one person is the same, so injection do not work the same on every person. But it did work for me, while it was only for one day, better than not at all

October 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm
(24) Ivan says:

I have a knee which suffered an injury 2 decades ago, had arthroscopy surgery 2 years ago, which didn’t fix anything. I was given a cortisone shot over a week ago (Sept 28th, 2012). At first, it felt numb. That evening it started to hurt quite a bit, an almost neural pain. I had to limp around to get anywhere, so I went straight to bed to sleep it off, the following day it was reduced. But I can’t squat, I can’t kneel, without it causing pain enough to cause me to grab my leg and want to go into the fetal position. Cold air hits my leg and it causes pain at times, which leads me to believe that it may have some neural relation.

When the doctor gave me the shot it did feel like he hit a nerve, but that just could’ve been the pain intensity.

If you are going to take it, ask questions regarding side effects and mention the stories described here.

By now I actually want to wait to get a total knee replacement instead when I reach retirement age. I don’t want any other 50/50 treatment.

October 12, 2012 at 1:59 am
(25) Melissa says:

I had a hip arthoscopy done 5 months ago and Dr did clean out the tear. She also lengthened my hip flexor. I continued on the PT protocol for these past months with great progress in mobility and strength. I have not been pain free yet! My original complaint was my hip pain pinpointed to the bikini line. Now after the scope 5 months ago I experience thy pain as well. SO ….Dr decided to have an injection of 2 pain killers and a steroid. not cortisone but similar. Today I left the procedure in a full limp and have not stopped the pain or limp it is worse than original pain. WOW! Any words of wisdom? ps I am a 40 year old mother of 3 very active and go to the gym 3 days a week work and run 2 scout troops…..so is over use a factor? maybe

October 16, 2012 at 9:17 am
(26) Sandra winspear says:

Glad i looked at this site i am not alone i had my first cortirone injection in my knee in febuary i cudnt believe the relief i got had no pain for 5mth then it flared up again really bad so went got another injection end august but this one hasnt worked im in agony ev day i dont know what to do or what to take im waitin now 2 c a knee dr its really bad on walkin im 63 and cant take anything that makes u drowsey as i ave my 20mth old grandauhter

October 23, 2012 at 5:24 am
(27) Jared says:

Crap I wished I found this site before I got my shot today in my knee.i have not felt pain until I wanted to go to sleep and now I have a burning in my calf and hams. Now that I took the brace off to shower it I can feel sloshienis( I am not sure if I spelled that right oh well) like I can feel fluid in my knee now. This sucks, my doctor just asked if I wanted a shot to help with my PT, so I said yes gave me the shot and never went over and thing about the shot but the name.

October 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm
(28) Janine patchinh says:

I had a cortisone injection in my right buttock a couple of months ago. My inflammation is even higher and my hip is so painful now. I still have pain at the injection site. I have a dark mark about 1.5 inches around the site and it pits inwards. I wish I had not had it. I am now looking at what I can do and am looking to MSG, glucosamine, juicing and supplements to help me. Pharmacology is pretty bad news on the hole!

November 8, 2012 at 12:46 am
(29) Barbii says:

I am so glad I found this site even though I found it too late as I got my injection in my hip joint today…12 hours later I’m laying in bed in excruciating pain. Holy crap on a cracker I will NEVER get these injections again. No matter how I sit or lay or stand it feels like a screwdriver grinding into every inch of my hip and leg bones way deep inside…I take morphine and oxicodone for my RA pain and the meds don’t even touch this injection pain. I feel so bad for all of us suffering through this. Stay strong and healing thoughts to all….thank you…end rant

November 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(30) Freddy says:

Hi, I had a SI joint injection in 2007 and my back pain got a lot worse so I decided not to have anymore. Before the injection my back would only hurt when bending down or lifting heavy weights, now if I stand still even for just a few minutes, I get really bad pains in my lower back, it feels like if all the bones in my lower back are rubbing together. I wish I never had that injection, I feel like an old lady at 37! Feel like I should get compensation for this but not sure if I can prove it was the injection.

November 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm
(31) kris says:

I have had issues with my knees for the last few months. Due to not properly warming up before workout I had a slight injury. I was referred to PT which failed. Then i got an MRI and all was good. So my orthopedic doctor suggested a cortisone shot. He said it would not be a long term Solution but it will definitely help for a while. So I had the shot in both my knees which was intense. He told me to stay off my feet for 3 days now my appointment was on November 23rd and I had to plan Thanksgiving at a friends house. So I stayed off my feet for the most part but I still had to get around and do things. Friday I did spend the whole day in bed… trying to take his advice and stay off my feet. However today is Tuesday the 27th, and I am in intense, burning pain. I am a dental assistant so I was on my feet all day Monday as well as Tuesday. By the end of Monday I was in pain but after I got ice on it at home I seem to be okay. Tuesday the pain came much sooner lasted much longer and I can’t get enough ice on my knees and thighs and back of my legs!! It feels like it’s being burned and on fire and stretching! I am thinking I should go in and see the doctor. I fear this is not going to get any better. Is there anything that can be done to relieve this pain or am I screwed? I bought 2 need braces that will hopefully help me tomorrow but I fear they won’t do anything! I feel like crying because I am so frustrated and now feel so debilitating and I’m only 38 years old. I never thought something like this could happen to me. Is anybody have any words of encouragement? How to put my mind at ease it this pain will subside soon, or that my doctor will have some magical solution? Any feedback thoughts or suggestions?

November 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm
(32) Jill says:

I had a severe knee injury 15 years ago and had 2 surgeries, an open knee ACL replacement and extensive reconstruction. I had a injection on the outside of my knee and was fine. A month later I had an epidural at L4-L5 and had discomfort but was fine. Yesterday I had a bursa (inside of knee) injection, was ok for a few hours and then the most severe pain I have ever had not including the open knee surgery in 1999. I don’t have reddness at the site and hardly any swelling. I went to bed last night and cried from the pain and couldn’t handle the pain that was so severe to even lift my leg. I wanted to turn over and couldn’t because the pain was so f’ing severe I was crying and didn’t move…I woke up this morning and the pain became worse. I’ve never felt such shooting sharp constant pain EVER. I called my dr and am still waiting for a call back. I had gotten down to 15mg of Morphine sulfate IR 4 times a day…I took 4 at a time to try to alleviate the pain and it’s not even close to helping…what did that dr do? Or shot? I can’t even walk on my leg now and any movement, even trying to sit to use the bathroom is horrific pain. Anyone know about bursa injections with this reaction??

December 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(33) Theresa says:

I had cortozone injections 3 times in 8 weeks…my back is far worse than before..on my second injection I had such a bad side effect…it felt like I had to prr all the time…I think he hit a nerve…the third injection was in a different spot with half the dose…but like I said, Im in horrible pain…has anyone had the side effect I mentioned…and is anyone know if this crap “wears off” in our bodies?

January 7, 2013 at 4:55 am
(34) cathy says:

i had a cortisone shot 5 days a go, although the doctor said it would take a week for the pain to go i believe its getting a lot more painful. is this normal? i gottold that if this injection didnt work i would need yet another operation. i have allready had key hole surgery on the same knee.

January 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm
(35) krissy mcgrath says:

i empathise with people feeling old after these injections. you pin all your hopes on it. i’ve had 3 in my upper arm as i’ve got a torn tendon. the thing with cortisone is that it’s more likely to work only if you rest properly, also, it’s something that can take time and continues to improve with time. i’ve developed severe trapped nerves since my recent injection a week ago. i’m trying to be positive because i also know that my body is trying to heal itself. in a month, one way or another, it will be different

January 16, 2013 at 8:01 pm
(36) Salli G. says:

Thanks, all. I had a clean-out’ some years ago for torn meniscus and arthritis, but my knee is at it again, I went for a cortisone shot today, and within 4 hours I was unable to move my leg. The pain and stiffness are almost unbearable. I am taking an anti-inflammatory and waiting for a vicodin to work. This is the last shot ever, and my first bad reaction.

Cathy, find a good doctor and go to plan B. That’s what I’m going to do.

January 17, 2013 at 12:03 am
(37) Painful shoulder says:

Got shot in AC joint in left shoulder yesterday morning and by 3pm same day my arm became so painful! I have read all earlier comments and am terrified this pain will be permanent. It is now close to midnight and ice packs & 3 aspirins taken over 2 hours ago have barely dulled the pain. I can’t sleep. I have to leave for work at 6:30am and doubt I will be able to drive my car. Sorry you all have suffered this too.

January 17, 2013 at 4:11 am
(38) Ally says:

I had a cortiso e injectioni in my foot October 2012, the area I was injected still looks bruised and red, there is lots of like shooting pains along the top of the foot now, like nerve endings are dancing around .
This is now 3 months and worried

January 22, 2013 at 5:46 am
(39) Kathy G says:

I had a cortisone injection in my rt knee yesterday for a torn menicus… My first and last….My knee was in more pain then when I fell. I couldn’t move it at all, then headaches, nausea, hot flashes, and sleeplessness. Then after a couple hours of sleep, I still have the pain but not quite as bad, Hoping it will ease off. Start PT next week but even the doctor says that the menicus would never heal…Should have insisted to fix it now instead of later.

January 24, 2013 at 5:22 pm
(40) Beth says:

First, I would like to tell you that I feel your pain. I too, was a victim of this outcome. It does progressively get worse. My began in 2009. I had the unfortunate experience at a hand center where I went for weakness due to an injury. I know now that I should’ve followed by instinct to cancel the shot when the doctor applied freeze spray to the intended injection sight prior to administiring it. The pain only got worse after I got home and as the eve progressed. My hand curled up and felt like it was on fire. The pain radiated up my arm to my shoulder. I called the after hours on call staff because I had such a bad reaction. He called back and said if it didnt get better the next day, he would see me. Then he scheduled a followup visit. During the followup, he proceeded to do the same thing. He insisted it was a progressive treatment plan and the benefits would outway any temporary discomfort. The got the same painful reaction as the first time. I never went back and my pain has gotten so bad that my right hand swells up every day. The only relief I get is with a heating pad and hot patches. I’ve seen another hand doctor recently because I’m right handed and this has gotten so bad that I barely can sign my name sometimes. I’ve been told that I must wear a splint every day and night for the rest of my life. Not practical and it only keeps me from putting more pressure on the already inflamed sight. I still have excruciating pain every day. Don’t get the shot. It will change your life for the worse. I didnt realize there were so many of us out there! We could organize a class action lawsuit and put an end to the overuse of this procedure and vict

January 28, 2013 at 12:30 pm
(41) Tonya says:

I am 27 years old and have horrible knee pain!! Hunting accident went wrong I was shot in upper thigh!! Since half my muscle is gone now my knee hurts horribly!! It’s been 7 months since the accident and I’ve had 2 cortizone shots!! Both shots after 2 days make the pain worse!! Doctor won’t do surgery because the extent on my leg damage!! Doctor also want to cut me off my pain meds!! without them i can barley walk! I am still doing PT!! My question is should I get another doctors advice!! I’m tired of the pain and nothing seems to help!!

February 4, 2013 at 10:11 am
(42) denise says:

I had a steriod injection on Friday it’s still painfull lifting my leg and sleeping on my left side.goin up stairs is hard gettin down is even harder thought it was to help not make it feel worse x

February 11, 2013 at 9:42 am
(43) garry mannix says:

had cortisone in knee 17 hours ago pain is a lot worse . had knee replacement 15weeks ago can anyone relate to this ?

February 21, 2013 at 4:19 pm
(44) kaz says:

I had an injection in my shoulder last thursday did not sleep all night pain was terrible on Friday i could not move my arm at all the pain was terrible phoned doctor who saw me and said i needed a scan and gave me strong painkillers which did not work still in pain a week later went for scan tonight have to wait for results but the doctor shook his head when i told him i had the injection and now i wait for the results the doctor had said it would take all the pain away when i asked about side effects he said there were none and it was the quickest way to deal with my injury i would never have one again and did not see this until after hope this helps to make a decession

February 21, 2013 at 8:33 pm
(45) Lori B. says:

I had a cortisone shot on Monday in my forearm due to tendinitis. After the shot I was dizzy for a few hours. And, I am in more pain now then I was before. I went back to my doctor yesterday due to the pain. He said that he is not sure why I am experiencing worse pain, but he put me in a splint that immobilizes my wrist and thumb. I wish I would have never got the shot!

February 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(46) janice says:

the bottom of my foot by the toe area was hurting , so i went to the foot doc .. he gave me an xray .. said nothing broken and then said he would give me a shot .. of cortazone .. well .. i screamed as he gave it to me .. so i said please slower .. thinking maybe it was going in to fast .. then i stopped screaming and then once again started to scream .. he said everyone has that happen .. because i was embarrassed.. well he said come back for 2 more shots .. ok.. well since i left his office my foot still hurts and sometimes burns where he gave me the shot (on top) and i have no relief under the foot at all .. there is no way i am going back for another shot .. NO WAY .. i really dont know what to do other than try another doc and see what he/she has to say .. but for sure NO MORE SHOTS !!!!!!

February 26, 2013 at 1:07 am
(47) 10s player says:

Had successful shoulder (rotator cuff) surgery in 2000, but have occasional flare-up (tendinitis). In the years since surgery, Orthopod has given me three steroid (Celestine) injections. Each one has been a huge success, ending the pain for years. Also had an injection for plantar fasciitis; that one stung like hell, but it worked

February 26, 2013 at 3:36 am
(48) Emily says:

I had my first cortisone shot last month and it felt worse after the injection. Besides the fact that I had pain for several days like this flare the article mentioned which lasted for days. I got the injection into a joint in my thumb. I could barely lift things more than before the shot, after the flare went away. Lifting cups? Forget about it.
And my doctor, who is an excellent one too got me to do another today. I trust his recommendations but I don’t think it’ll work this time.

In fact it feels just like when I had my initial injury again. It was a partially torn ligament just for specifics.

March 2, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(49) Emma says:

I am no stranger to pain, having had RA for over 20 years. I’ve had cortisone shots in my fingers, ankle and now both shoulders. I didn’t find any of the shots particularly painful. (I wouldn’t recommend having cortisone while pregnant. I did and my child has a skeletal deformity)

The first injection in my shoulder over a year ago was great. I had struggled with bursitis for several months until I had to force my arm down every morning. One shot cured the problem altogether.

Shortly after, my other shoulder started to play up and I waited over a year to get the injection. (hoping it would just go away rather than resorting to synthetic treatment) I had a cortisone injection 2 weeks ago and, not only hasn’t it improved the shoulder but pain is radiating down my arm in several places. I fear getting subsequent shots because cortisone can melt tendons and disintegrate bone.

I suspect this doctor gave me a smaller dose because he did say, if it doesn’t work, come back for a top up. Just give me the right dose in the first place doc! Let’s hope he can explain this radiating pain.

March 6, 2013 at 3:33 am
(50) Tracy radnai says:

Hi all
I’ve had really bad back pain and nerve shooting pains down my legs for 8 weeks now. I can’t sit down for too long and can only lye in certain positions. I went to my doctor yesterday and have booked in for 2 cortisone injections into the l5 and nerve roots.
Apart from hating needles I feel this is a massive thing to have someone do such a thing to my back. Now ready all of these comments I have changed my mind and will find another source of going bout it

March 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm
(51) nancy says:

I am a 33 year old mother of 3 i work 50+ hours a week on my feet the entire time i started with a discomfort in my hip and went to the dr he said you have bursitis and injected me in both hips i felt good after leaving the next morning so much pain i could barely move it hurt so bad i wanted to scream now the pain is so intense in the hip and down the leg that i made another appointment with a specialist this time but i cant do the shots again its not worth it. The one thing i have noticed in looking for doctors is if you refuse the shot they treat you like a pill popper and refuse to treat you so i dont know what im gonna do if this one acts like that too

March 17, 2013 at 2:25 am
(52) Wanda Deveau-Rogers says:

I got a cortizone shot about 3 weeks ago in my right hand in the area between wear my thumb joint connects to my wrist. I have got pretty bad arthritis in that thumb. Well, the thumb hurt like crazy for about 2 days after the shot but then was GREAT! OMG….I couldn’t believe that I could actually move my thumb without pain! Now, after 3 weeks, the pain is back and I swear it’s worse than before the shot! Is this possible??

March 26, 2013 at 3:54 am
(53) mike says:

I had a Steroid shot in my Right Shoulder in November. The first few days after the injection it hurt like hell, then settled down and I was pain free for a couple of months, then it went downhill and my shoulder hurts all the time now and is a lot weaker and stiffer. Nothing I take eases the pain.

March 27, 2013 at 11:47 pm
(54) Kyla says:

Hi guys I’m sixteen and have had hip pain for a few years now. My orthopedic believes it is a tear so he gave me a cortisone injection after he injected dye into my hip today. I left there numb and not noticing any pain but now I’ve woken up from it, I can’t twist or turn my hip nor can I walk without it bringing tears to my eyes. It is a constant sharp, almost stabbing pain in my groin area. During the procedure I kept telling him he was hurting me and he simply put it off as hitting a nerve in my back…kind of worried now maybe he messed something up…is it normal to have this pain? Thanks for the help.

April 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm
(55) Yvette says:

Wow! I wish that I had come to this sight before my injection this morning. I had and injection in the base of my thumb and did not know that it would be so painful!!! Here I am 4 hours later and I am in more pain than when I walked into the doctors office. I dont think I’ll be going back for more of this. Anyone have any helpful alternatives??

April 3, 2013 at 3:25 am
(56) Michelle says:

I had a cortisone and local anaesthetic combined into my right shoulder today under ultrasound guidance into the subacromial bursa. It was virtually painless and over and done with in no more than 2 minutes. They told me that local lasts up to 12 hours. I still have no pain now. Hope it stays that way. It’s been 8 hours now. Only advise I would give is make sure the injection is done using ultrasound, that way less chance of injecting the wrong spot.

April 9, 2013 at 4:57 am
(57) Chris Booth says:

I had my first shot yesterday for a tennis elbow which started about 2 months ago. I so wish I hadn’t done it. The pain is like nothing I’ve known, Constant “dead arm” feeling with severe pain when trying to move the elbow. I am usually ok with pain and needles, but I almost fainted yesterday after the shot. I stepped out of the GP’s room and fell on the chairs, sweat dripping and so sick feeling. I’ve had no warning or support since from the doctors. After he gave me the shot, he said usually we have a medication with a local anaesthetic in it, but we’re out of that, and so this will be very painful. So annoyed and feeling sorry for myself.

April 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm
(58) Marlene says:

I wish I saw this before my Cortisone shot 2 weeks ago. I have suffered back pain from fractures of L5 and L4 years ago. Then plain in my groin and left hip for years. The last year I limped and pain was bad so I cant work as a Pharmacy Tech. Two weeks ago after seeing my Orthopedic dr, He encouraged me to get hip injection instead of hip replacement now. I reluctantly agreed, hoping it would buy me 6 months, cause my son had knee surgery a month ago. The injection was horrific pain.Never had such pain.worse then birth of my kids. Well for a few days pain was 60 percent gone. But had a allergic reaction to. shot hrs after for 2 days after shot, my hip pain and eg pain is horrific now. Makes me cry.never again, this shot.Omg its terrible. Want my hip surgery

April 19, 2013 at 11:34 pm
(59) Angel says:

Comment #50 – Tracy
I have had the same pain in L5 for about 4-5 years now. Finally diagnosed thru MRI with bulging disc and bone spurs from arthritis which are both causing “squeezing” of nerve root. Went in for first shot today and unfortunately NO RELIEF and now the muscle in my thigh, as well as front of my calf are actually in more pain…
Scheduled for second shot in 3 weeks and now rethinking this process. Can you tell me if you ever went through with the epi cortisone shots and how you made out? If you decided against, can you tell my what alternative you found and/or opted for and how you’ve made out?!
Thanks and hope you are feeling well!

April 22, 2013 at 12:06 am
(60) Char says:

Had a shoulder cortisone shot 2 weeks ago for bursitis from a fall at the bowling ally, after a couple days had some relief from the pain which was a 12 on a scale of 1/10 but seem to have side effects that are getting worse as the days go by. For two days now my breast on the side where the shot was given is swollen and tender, will be calling the ortho tomorrow but am sure she will discount it as being from the injuction. Would sure like to hear from anyone who has had this swelling after a shot. Also how long will the effects from the shot last? I wish I would of read others comments before the injection. Thanks

May 9, 2013 at 12:36 am
(61) Kasia says:

I torn labrum in my hip. I got cortisone shot a week ago. I was going thru all kind of pains thru the past week. I received the shot on thursday but the worst pain I had, was on Sunday and Monday. Very sharp pain, going from my lower back to my foot. Today it was the first day, after 8 weeks, I woke up without the pain. My doctor said that it might take up to 2 weeks to find out if the shot is working for me or not.Seeing my hip doc tomorrow to find out my next step. Please wish me luck!!

May 29, 2013 at 6:22 am
(62) Ceridwen says:

It’s been three weeks since I had a cortisone injection in my hip. I found the first 48 hours totally excruciating, have been left with additional pain across my lower back and in my groin area. Walking now more painful then before having the injection. Went back to my Dr yesterday, he’s now referred me for a scan.

June 13, 2013 at 9:55 pm
(63) pirate says:

33f I received my shot one week ago today in my left hip and now I am going to ask my dr. about getting one in my left hip. The shot it self was painless the dr I had was awesome. I had instant relief in my hip and lower back until the numbing med wore off. I than had pain at the injection site for two days..i would call it “sore”. Two days after that I noticed I was doing more getting around better, but, yes there is a “but”, my quad muscle is killing me I can’t figure out if its just because now I’m using my leg more? Or is something wrong? Either way calling the dr. In the A.M. hoping its just from using it…because my hip hasn’t felt this good in ten years! I never realized how much I avoided doing things from my lame hips.

June 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm
(64) Snowstorm says:

WOW!!! People with shots within a week, be patient, it always takes me about a week to feel no pain & normal. For the past few years I had injections in L4, 5 & SI Joint once or twice a yr, thanks to snowboarding 20 yrs & growing up in sports. My favorite is SNOW & ALL the sports that goes along with the snow & I live in FL.. Met the one on a cruise 05.
3 weeks & 3 days ago I had my normal shot AND ABNORMAL RESULTS. The pain is HORRIFIC, worst ever!!! Obviously something went wrong & I have had to go though MRI, CT w/ aspiration of synovial fluid from SI joint OUCH, radiologist doesn’t think it’s an infection, no puss, etc but it went out for biopsy, ill know more next Wed (it’s Fri). My white blood ct is 22, norm is 8 – 10, I did read inflammation could jack it up, no fevers. I now have a cane, with butterflies, my husband bought, I can barely walk most days I stay upstairs in house keeping food in small refridge, etc. I have 19 stairs, somedays I go a few times up / down usually just once. Thankfully I do not have children to take care of. It’s been soooo bad…. I wish I had some words of wisdom as I hate thinking the worst…. My husband has been great, along with friends to help out taking me to appts, etc. i cant beleive this is happening feel so bad for peeps with such pain……Thanks for listening if anyone has some info on this great, I did read someone had pain for 8 weeks & woke up with no pain & back to normal, I sure hope that I come back with the same story.

July 5, 2013 at 10:54 am
(65) Charlotte says:

OK first of all people, cortisone shots work for “most” people, but some may have trouble. Sometimes it is due to just a GP doing the shot rather than a bonafide orthapedic surgeon. I have been having shots in hips and knees every 5-8 months for about 3 yrs. now. And the pain is much better until the cortisone wears off. Only today am I suffering with pain in back of knee after injection yesterday (and FYI injection is done in patella or kneecap on outer side) so pain isn’t at injection site. I did have a weird occurrence yesterday though. It bled like a stuck pig after shot (and this shot was done by a resident not the specialist, but I’m not blaming her….probably a freak occurrence). If the injection is causing for pain after….maybe consider contacting the specialist who gave the shot and tell them and ask advice.

July 7, 2013 at 3:35 am
(66) Grace says:

I’m 12, and had a cortisone shot in my left wrist, pinky side, due to a tfcc ligament and a small cyst growing, that happened in march. I got the shot 2 weeks ago. I felt extream pain for about 5 days, and finally it started getting better. But it still hurts now. It’s definitely more tolerable and feels ok, but it still feels uncomfortable, and I can’t use it in some ways, which is super diaspointing, because I can’t play my sport, and haven’t been able to since March. Does anyone know why it’s not feeling better yet? The doc sayed the next step is surgery, and I seriously don’t want surgery. Please help….

July 11, 2013 at 1:17 am
(67) Lauren says:

Never AGAIN!!!!!! Do your research! I had both SI joint and back injection. Major nerve damage! I’m devastated! My experience is dizziness and almost as if my head is disconnected from the rest of my body. I have memory lapse which is horrible and causes frustration causing me to cry hysterically. My throat hasn’t been the same since, I have swallowing problems along with acid reflux. I went back to the orthopedic doctor that performed the procedure at UCLA and he said “I’ve never heard of that happening”, although everyone online is complaining. He referred me to my GP, in turn the GP referred me to a neurologist. I had an MRI yesterday. Almost forgot that several times I’ve lost feeling in my toes. I don’t know about everyone else but I’d rather suffer hip pain than have neurological damage. NEVER AGAIN!

August 9, 2013 at 4:30 am
(68) Jessie says:

OMG! I had the cortisone shot for the first time in my shoulder today at 5:00pm and ended up in the ER at 8:00pm for pain so bad I cried and could not even think. I have lived through 4 births with no Anastasia and broken ribs the pain I experienced was FAR WORSE! I am hoping the shot was worth what I just went through

August 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm
(69) Myra says:

Hi,

I had a cortisone shot in accessory Navicular bone in my right foot. My doctor never told me that it could be that painful. I am on bed rest from past 3 weeks. Still i am not able to walk on my feet. Is there any one who could tell me how long it is going to take.

August 14, 2013 at 1:57 am
(70) B says:

I had the cotisone shot in my right hip 3 weeks ago – I did not want to do it but the Dr. insisted we try this before he would schedule hip surgery. I’ve already had a full replacement on my left hip and he keeps telling me I’m too young (45) to have a double hip replacement. The pain is worse than ever. The shot did not work and made it worse. I cannot walk and because I’m putting so much pressure on the left side, my “new” hip is also hurting. I wish I’d never had the shot and am so upset. I have young kids and can’t even walk now. I went to see the Dr. today and insisted he schedule the surgery but now I’m worried about his judgement on the replacement (I’ve moved out of state from where I had first surgery) part as he’s insisting on a specific brand. I feel so sick, scared, and not feeling comfortable with him. Just needed to vent. Thanks and please respond as it feels good to read and know others are going through similar situations.

August 24, 2013 at 2:15 pm
(71) Charlie says:

Second SI into shoulder following an RTA over 18mths ago and my shoulder down to my elbow is completely numb 3days on . I can’t drive due to the pressure of the seatbelt I can’t dry my hair, I can’t do my bra strap up and I can’t get out of the bath. My consult has agreed to do the surgery now for infringement to the joint he’s promised a 90% success rate in relieving my pain but one things for sure I will never as long as I live I will never have another SI again. I’m getting pins/needles in my fingers I ache all over almost as if I have flu
I wish I had seen this forum sooner I would have thought twice about having it done but we tend to trust our medical professionals to do their best for us
Good luck to you all

August 27, 2013 at 8:45 am
(72) Kbo says:

I have had shoulder pain for a few years from throwing long balls in the outfield playing softball. Went to the doc to see what was up, and he said I probably didn’t have a tear but just an inflamed rotator cuff. So, he said the best option was a quick cortisone shot and a few therapy sessions to start rehabbing at home. This was about 24 hours ago. My shoulder is hurting right now more than it ever has, in a constant throbbing of pain that kept me awake all night and is getting worse as the next day goes on. I’m hopeful as this article states that it’s a 24-48 hour reaction, because any worse and I’m going to be begging for something more than Aleve.

I’m a little sad that the doc never told me anything about there being a potential for side effect pain, just said It’d be a little numb and start feeling better. This most certainly is not better, at least not yet. Hopes up, thinking positive, praying for good fortunes and recovery for all!

August 27, 2013 at 7:39 pm
(73) Sheryl says:

I’m glad I’ve found this site!
I broke my back 2 years ago in a car accident, after several surgeries I now have 3 full thickness tears of the supraspinatus and a bone spur on my left shoulder, plus bursitis to the left hip, so my left side is useless and very painful!
I am suppose to go tomorrow for cortisone injections to them both before they even look at doing an operation. I just know I can’t continue on like this, the pain is driving me up the wall.
After having 9 children, I’ve decided I’d rather give birth to one sideways than endure this pain! My family is tired of running a schedule around weather I will be in to much pain to go/do something at any given time, nothing can be arranged ahead of time.
I’ve decided after reading your comments I’m NOT going to have the shots in my hip or shoulder, which they were going to do tomorrow.

Has it settled for anybody?

September 19, 2013 at 10:36 am
(74) Helen says:

I had 2 successful si for my l4/l5 back pain in may 2011 and dec 2011. Instant relief that lasted for months, pain reoccurred because my job required more sitting. I am a fit woman in her 40′s that sometimes has back issues form an accident when I was 27. However, my back gave out in Dec 2012 and no matter how much pt, chiro, acupuncture, nothing helped so I went for another SI after an MRI showed slight bulge at l5/s1. New ortho doc, old one had retired. This one came highly recommended, too. He gave me the shot in March 2013 at that area and there was so much pain that day, unlike the previous SI. The pain grew worse daily, down my legs, front & back, bottom of my feet, none of this pain was there before. I got worse, almost unable to walk, cook, clean, care for my family, no more wonderful 25 mile bike rides, no running, no gardening. I could barely move, was given a handicap parking placard and a handful of RX for pain meds I didn’t want. I was WISHING for the previous back pain over this current pain. If I had just waited it out it would have been fine. When I would question the dr he would just shrug and say he didn’t know what was going on and offer me more drugs. I bet if I had gone to him for a SECOND opinion after a different dr had done this he would have an answer. No one wants to own up if he hit a nerve wrong. What he should have done that first week when I was in so much pain was put me on steroids & Valium to bring down any swelling. This I find out from my neuro who is helping me get better. I am better, just not 100%. There is still pain in my legs but I can drive longer distances now. I can ride my bike 5 miles. Yesterday I did 7 miles and I am paying for it today. The random ache in weird spots on my thighs and calves just boggle my mind. I do not want drugs, I am a woman that eats organic & healthy and takes care of herself. . But PT helps, so do hot baths, magnesium, advil, alieve. You have to keep moving. Anyone else go through this?

September 19, 2013 at 10:37 am
(75) Helen says:

I had 2 successful si for my l4/l5 back pain in may 2011 and dec 2011. Instant relief that lasted for months, pain reoccurred because my job required more sitting. I am a fit woman in her 40′s that sometimes has back issues form an accident when I was 27. However, my back gave out in Dec 2012 and no matter how much pt, chiro, acupuncture, nothing helped so I went for another SI after an MRI showed slight bulge at l5/s1. New ortho doc, old one had retired. This one came highly recommended, too. He gave me the shot in March 2013 at that area and there was so much pain that day, unlike the previous SI. The pain grew worse daily, down my legs, front & back, bottom of my feet, none of this pain was there before. I got worse, almost unable to walk, cook, clean, care for my family, no more wonderful 25 mile bike rides, no running, no gardening. I could barely move, was given a handicap parking placard and a handful of RX for pain meds I didn’t want. I was WISHING for the previous back pain over this current pain. If I had just waited it out it would have been fine. When I would question the dr he would just shrug and say he didn’t know what was going on and offer me more drugs. I bet if I had gone to him for a SECOND opinion after a different dr had done this he would have an answer. No one wants to own up if he hit a nerve wrong. What he should have done that first week when I was in so much pain was put me on steroids & Valium to bring down any swelling. This I find out from my neuro who is helping me get better. I am better, just not 100%. There is still pain in my legs but I can drive longer distances now. I can ride my bike 5 miles. Yesterday I did 7 miles and I am paying for it today. The random ache in weird spots on my thighs and calves just boggle my mind. I do not want drugs I am a woman that eats organic & healthy and takes care of herself. But PT helps, so do hot baths, magnesium, advil, alieve. You have to keep moving. Anyone else go through this?

September 20, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(76) kazza says:

Hi just had SI today in my shoulder due to psoratic arthritis i screamed to say the least, cried for hours once home. The pain was beyond anything I had ever experienced and was told it will get worst before it gets better after it was done abt 24-48 hrs, I am taking paracetamol every 4 hours and ice packs every 20 minutes which r calming things to a degree but boy it hurts in-between dare not move or lay down don’t know how I am gonna sleep could not even undress or dress myself, had to eat one handed I hope and pray new tablets will work get them in 3 weeks then have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to work methrotexate sucks i got tablets and injections and got real sick and high anxiety developed a needle phobia which i never had as for alcohol wipes I throw up at the smell Dr says though I am not going mad.it’s common. nice to see I am not alone

September 22, 2013 at 5:21 pm
(77) jo says:

I had a cortisone shot in my right shoulder almost 2weeks ago and ever since its 10 times worse my hand swells up and Im getting almost no sleep at night because of pain. My. Dr has been brushing me off n says IM overreacting. Cant take it anymore! Please any suggestions!

September 28, 2013 at 12:09 am
(78) Dennis says:

I got my first cortosone shot in the middle knuckle of my hand, the shot hurt pretty bad and I had pain for about 2 or 3 days and then all of my joint pain was gone. The shot lasted about 7 weeks and then the joint pain returned. I went back to my Dr. And he suggested another shot, this time when he gave me the shot the pain was almost more than I could handle. I left the Dr. At 5pm and returned to work, when I got home about 7 pm the pain in my hand became very intense (9-10) I took some hydrocodone put ice on it and I was up all night pain was some of the worst I have ever experienced. When I woke up the next day I could not even use my hand, I could not make a fist or straighten out my fingers it hurt so bad. I called the nurse and she said keep icing my hand take aleve and hydros and rest and should be ok by Saturday (had shot Thursday at 5pm) it is now Friday night at 11pm and I have seen very little improvement my middle knuckle and hand are still swollen badly and still hurts a bunch. I can move my fingers some now but causes a lot of pain. I hope this pain and swelling is reduced by tomorrow, I am starting to second guess these cortosone shots! Sorry for everyone’s pain here…

October 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(79) gina says:

I should read all of these messages. I had tennis elbow and went to a doctor in Jan. I did physical therapy which did not help much. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in late Feb. I experience the severe pain as described in most of your messages for two days. Then my elbow got better. Last month, the pain came back and this time is much worse. I went to the same doctor, he gave me two options: surgery or shot. Surgery is not a good option for me because I will not get the full motion range back after surgery. It is like you are permanently disabled. I took the shot. I have forgot how painful the shot could cause. Now it is third day after the shot. Most of the pain are gone. However I realized that side effects caused by cortisone shot. Doctors should tell patients about side effect and long term damage of each treatment. Nowadays we patients have to act like a doctor to learn everything ourselves.

January 7, 2014 at 7:30 am
(80) Lucy says:

I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder at the age of 36 and I have not had a problem with that shoulder since. the doctor took his time to find the right spot to inject the shot. The problems with your shots, and the pain afterwards, might be the doctor not knowing or caring where and how to do the injection.

January 14, 2014 at 5:08 am
(81) lyn says:

Have injection 5 days ago in foot for plantar fasciitis , been in so much pain i have cried , Got up this morning and could actually put my whole foot on the floor which felt amazing . Sight of injection still very tender but early days looking positve

January 22, 2014 at 11:26 pm
(82) K says:

I have had several cortisone shots over the years from different doctors and different reactions every time. If the doctor doesn’t quite get it in the correct spot then there is little to no relief. Also, always go to a specialist because a GP does not know what they are doing with this. You are messing with nerves and tendons! All of the physiatrists I have seen used local anesthetic then ultrasound guided shots. You feel the local anesthetic shot but it is just the initial poke then pressure. Definitely not the worst pain. I have gotten the cortisone flare a few times within a few days after but that is the worst of it usually. It can take up to two weeks to feel better if it worked. It does not work for everybody and without the ultrasound it is very hard for them to put the cortisone in the correct spot not to mention poke something they shouldn’t. Hope this helps.

January 30, 2014 at 11:49 pm
(83) Karen says:

I just had 2 shots today in my left and right side of my hips. It hurt so bad, I cried! Now, it’s been hours and the pain has gotten very bad like someone is hitting me over and over. Sharp pain shooting down my left is worse too! I can’t even walk, sitting is very difficult! The pain is so bad and I don’t know what to do

February 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm
(84) Karen says:

I too had my R shoulder injected, for inflammation?, within 24hr, the pain in my shoulder, that radiates down my arm is so much worse. I too have gone back to the ordering Ortho Dr, who said similar things, like” well, we really don’t know what the problem is” , maybe see your primary care Dr.
The nerve type pain is worsening over the last 1mth. No answers , and I am really suffering. It’s shocking to get the brush off, after an invasive injection, that , may have made things worse. Where do we get answers?
I’m a nurse and am very surprised @ the lack of ownership, by the ordering ortho. My injection was done under fluoroscopic guide.

February 17, 2014 at 2:41 am
(85) Peggy says:

I had a cortizone shot in my knee. I have been having pretty severe pain all over but especially in both legs and stiffness of both knees. The pain is worse at night. I am taking codeine to try to sleep because the pain is so severe. Has anyone had this kind of pain, and does it eventually go away. It has been about three-four weeks.

February 17, 2014 at 2:54 am
(86) Peggy says:

Does the latent pain go away. I know the knee pain will need to be dealt with but does anyone know if the all over pain goes away with time. It has been almost four weeks and I am in terrible pain after getting the shot under the knee cap. I have had several before in the muscle but none with side affects like this. I can barely move and it is much worse at night. I am taking codeine and IB three times a day just to function. I am really scared this is going to last forever.

February 19, 2014 at 1:24 pm
(87) guy says:

I had 2 injections about 2 years ago and I was in excruciating pain for every since about a week after my injections I collapsed and haven’t been able to walk properly since that day since then ive become legally disabled and can’t walk without a walker and leg braces ive seen a neurologist and and had a mri done and its showed lesions and cyst in my hip area is there anything I can do who should I talk to and is there any legal actions I can take

February 24, 2014 at 2:24 am
(88) Alice says:

I had a cortisone shot in my knee over a month ago. I was unable to walk the day after the shot. Since then, both my legs and ankles swell up every day. I have difficulty walking and I also developed a bacterial rash on my body that keeps coming back. I have headaches every day. My vision is now blurry and I am having heart pains. My general doctor said I now have high blood pressure which I did not have before the shot. She said the shot has nothing to do with the strange things that have been going on with my health however I strongly disagree. The Orthopedic Dr. did not tell me what he was giving me when he gave me the shot, he just said it was for pain. I just hope in writing about my horrible experience there is someone out there I can help to decide to NOT get a Cortisone shot. The Doctors will not admit any of the side effects are due to the shot. Please read comments first before you allow anyone to stick that needle in you. I fear my life will never be the same. If only I had the chance to do research however I was stupid and trusted the Doctor don’t make the same mistake I did.

February 24, 2014 at 2:37 am
(89) Alice says:

I also forgot to mention that my right arm is now in constant pain as well. My injury was in my right knee. The Cortisone shot was given in my right leg. So yes the Cortisone can cause pain in other areas of your body. If you are experiencing this, you are not crazy. I am having the same problem. The pain is a burning sensation and it hurts when I try to raise my arm. The first week after the shot I felt a strange crawling, picking sensation all over my body and my face. If you develop a rash, put Tea Tree oil on it or Hydrogen Peroxide. It really helps calm the itching and keeps the bacteria from spreading. Also, some of you who have had the shot in the knee may also notice the strange popping/crackling sound that was not there before. Who knows what the heck that is ? My husband freaked out this morning when I
asked him to listen to it. He said it sounds like an old leather jacket or fibers being stretched.

February 24, 2014 at 4:09 pm
(90) Lucy says:

It took 9 weeks after a cortisone injection for me to see a difference in my hip pain- From that point I’ve had 3 pain free months til this week when its come back with a vengeance-pity with taking so long to have an effect it didn’t last longer than that!

March 23, 2014 at 8:19 am
(91) teri says:

I had 2 cortisone shots (one on each side) for herniated discs in back. This was done 5 days ago. The shots seem to have helped the back but i now have extreme pain in my left calf where i really can’t walk on my leg at all. This pain has been going on for 3 days now. Any suggestions?

April 14, 2014 at 7:35 am
(92) Jeanette says:

I had two cortisone shots within a two week time period (in my right hip!) and now the pain is worse than ever! Not only that, but the skin where he put the injection is warm and swollen. It feels like there is a rock under my skin! Went to “Urgent Care” yesterday and now to follow up with the orthopedic today (not sure if he will provide any relief!). Doctor at Urgent Care thinks the site is infected and gave me a shot of heavy duty antibiotics, which did not seem to help! Also gave me a muscle relaxer which made me go to sleep. Other than that, pain is severe! Any ideas of what it could be??