Casts are an excellent treatment for broken bones. However, problems can arise and you should know how to assess the integrity your cast.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Call your doctor if you experience any of the following symtpoms:
- Pain or swelling that is not adequately controlled with medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Numbness or tingling in the extremity (hand or foot).
- Inability to move your fingers or toes beyond the cast.
- Circulation problems in your hand or foot. (Check by pressing down on a fingernail or toenail--the skin beneath should blanche, but quickly turn pink again when pressure is released).
- Loosening, splitting or breaking of the cast.
- Unusual odors, sensations, or wounds beneath the cast.
- If you develop a fever or gerneralized illness.
- Do not remove the cast.
Call your doctor or go to the emergency room if you suspect a problem with the cast.