Signs You're Ready For Knee Replacement
- You have knee pain that keeps you awake, or awakens you, at night.
- You have knee pain which limits activities necessary to go about your daily routine (such as getting up from a chair or climbing stairs).
- You have knee pain that limits activities that give you pleasure (such as walking for exercise, traveling or shopping.).
- You have tried other treatments for a reasonable period of time, and you still have persistent knee pain.
Signs You Are Not Ready For Knee Replacement
- Your knee pain does not limit normal activities.
- Your symptoms are improving with more conservative treatments.
- You have not tried more conservative treatments.
- You are only limited from performing activities such as running or skiing.
"NIH Consensus Development Conference on Total Knee Replacement" National Institutes of Health, Consensus Development Conference Statement, December 8-10, 2003.